3 Quotes To Get Through Rough Times

3 Quotes To Get Through Rough Times

Sometimes we just need someone to acknowledge our struggle.

1072
3 Quotes To Get Through Rough Times
psyche

Being a college student is tough.

Being a student is tough.

Being a family member, friend, lover, etc. is tough.

Life's tough.

Whether you're struggling with academics, your love life, friendships, or family, here are some quotes that acknowledge my pain/struggle and help me feel better, and which I hope in return acknowledge your pain/struggle and help you.

1. Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami (novel)

“Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. There's no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up into the sky like pulverized bones. That's the kind of sandstorm you need to imagine.

And you really will have to make it through that violent, metaphysical, symbolic storm. No matter how metaphysical or symbolic it might be, make no mistake about it: it will cut through flesh like a thousand razor blades. People will bleed there, and you will bleed too. Hot, red blood. You'll catch that blood in your hands, your own blood and the blood of others.

And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about.”

This one is pretty long, but this one has been my favorite since the beginning of this year. This quote just acknowledges the struggles that most people may go through, but that the "storm" changes you: whether that's a good change or bad change is up to one's self.

2. Poetry by Lang Leav (from her book, Memories)

"I know you have seen things you wish you hadn't. You have done things you wish you could take back. And you wonder why you were thrown into the thick of it all--why you had to suffer the way you did. And as you are sitting there alone and hurting, I wish I could put a pen in your hand and gently remind you that the world has given you poetry and now you must give it back."

First of all, Lang Leav is an amazing poet, I have all her works and she is just so talented. Second, as a poet, I have such a deep connection with this quote because it reminds me of my own talent. Leav is conversational in this quote (and most of her works) and when I read this quote, I felt as though she were talking specifically to me. When I feel sad, I like to read this quote to myself, out loud, to the mirror, and of course, write poetry.

Check out her Tumblr page for more great poetry!

3. A Poem by Reyna Biddy (from her book, I Love My Love )

Don’t be afraid to distance yourself from everyone + everything and recoup. sort out your thoughts. listen to your heart. breathe. read a book. write about how much your life has sucked - then write about how much you can’t wait to see the positive changes. relearn yourself. accept all the hurt you’ve been through. forgive anyone and everyone who’s hurt you. even if that means doing it within, and never physically or verbally reaching out. let go. & rejuvenate. take a step away from the chaos, and find peace. within.

Reyna Biddy is a poet I recently discovered this past fall, and let me tell you -- I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT.

She carefully and skillfully writes this poetry, epistolary type of book with self-love poetry. Biddy's work (this particular quote, actually) reminds me that self-love always comes first. That with pain also comes healing and positivity. She has recently come out with another book, and I cannot wait to start reading it.

Check out her Tumblr page for more of her amazing work.

I hope that these few quotes help some of you or that this article encourages you to find quotes or books that help with your healing. And if you're satisfied with where you are, I hope this article informed you on some good works to read. <3