A Quote A Day Keeps the Negativity Away

A Quote A Day Keeps the Negativity Away

A collection of impactful and inspiring quotes from a wide variety of authors.

372
A Quote A Day Keeps the Negativity Away
Amber Foote

Very similar to how I write out one thing I’m grateful for each day, I also jot down an impactful quote at the same time. Inspiring words have always had a special place in my heart and a noticeably large impact on my usual ways of thinking. I find ease in expressing through written word much more often than I do verbally, so reading something that truly moves me is by far one of my favorite experiences.

Although I only began this habit upon arriving at college, I have still accumulated quite a collection of moving quotes . . .

1. We create ourselves as we go.

-Bhuvana Mandalapu

2. Look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now.

-Lin Manuel Miranda

3. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

-Ian MacIaren

4. It takes a life to learn how to live.

-Jonathan Safran Foer

5. When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix

6. People will forget what you said and people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

-Maya Angelou

7. And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain: when you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in.

-Haruki Murakami

8. Life is only as good as your mindset.

-Anonymous

9. Sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

10. Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

-Ferris Bueller

11. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

-Confucius

12. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

-Neale Donald Walsch

13. When “i” is replaced by “we”, even illness becomes wellness.

-Malcolm X

14. Happiness comes in many forms - in the company of good friends, in the feeling you get when you make someone else’s dream come true, or in the promise of hope renewed. It’s okay to let yourself be happy because you never know how fleeting that happiness might be.

-Lucas Scott

15. There is no weakness in forgiveness.

-Tami Taylor

16. It’s not the weight you carry, but how you carry it that matters.

-Anonymous

17. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.

-Lucius Annaeus Seneca

18. Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together.

-Marilyn Monroe

19. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

-Dr. Seuss

20. Life kicks you around sometimes. It scares you and beats you up, but there’s a day when you’ll realize you’re not just a survivor, you’re a fighter. You’re tougher than anything life throws your way.

-Ash Sweeney

21. The part can hurt. You can either run from it or learn from it.

-The Lion King

22. A little light somewhere makes a brighter light everywhere.

-Kiplimo Chemirmir

23. Moving on is not about never looking back. It’s about taking a glance at yesterday and noticing how much you’ve grown since then, moving on means finally realizing that yesterday is yesterday and it’ll never be today again, what’s done is done, and all you can do is aim to make all those yesterdays ones you can look back on with a smile on your face.

-Ritu Ghatourey

24. Six plus three equals nine, but so do seven plus two and four plus five. The way you do things isn’t the only way to do them - respect other people’s ways of thinking.

-Anonymous

25. There’s always a seed before there’s a rose. The more it rains, the more I will grow.

-Adam Anders

26. Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

-Helen Wolkowicz

27. She turned her can’ts into cans and her dreams into plans.

-Kobi Yamada

28. Just know it passes, but you’ll collect scars - they never go away, but they’ll make you who you are.

-Macklemore

29. Let your past make you better, not bitter.

-Susan Abrams Milligan

30. Every day may not be good, but there’s something good in every day.

-Alice Morse Earle

31. Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.

-James Dean

32. The only time you should ever look back is to see how far you’ve come.

-Anonymous

33. Strength of character isn’t always about how much you can handle before you break. It’s also about how much you can handle after you’ve been broken.

-Robert Tew

34. Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

-Dr. Seuss

35. Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you react to it.

-Lou Holtz

36. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it.

-Harvey MacKay

37. The important thing is not to be bitter over life’s disappointments. Learn to let go of the past . . . and recognize that every day won’t be sunny. And when you find yourself lost in the darkness and despair, remember it’s only in the black of night you can see the stars, and those stars will lead you back home. So don’t be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble, to fall, because most of the time the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe you’ll get everything you wish for . . . maybe you’ll get more than you ever could have imagined . . . who knows where this life will take you.

-One Tree Hill

38. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

-Kelly Clarkson

39. Things aren’t always gonna be fair in the real world, that’s just the way it is. But for the most part, you get what you give. Let me ask you all a question: what’s worse, not getting everything you wished for or getting it all and finding out it’s not enough? The rest of your life is being shaped right now with the dreams you chase, the choices you make, and the person you decide to be. The rest of your life is a long time and the rest of your life starts right now.

-One Tree Hill

40. We blame society, but we are society.

-Anonymous

41. Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

-Arthur Ashe

42. It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

-Confucius

43. The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

-Winston Churchill

44. And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.

-Abraham Lincoln

45. What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?

-Robert H. Schuller

46. Do one thing every day that scares you.

-Eleanor Roosevelt

47. A river cuts through rocks not because of its power, but because of its persistence.

-Jim Watkins

48. If I asked you to name everything you love, how long would it take you to name yourself?

-Anonymous

49. A problem is a chance for you to do your best.

-Duke Ellington

50. There is one thing you should always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

-Winnie the Pooh

51. I realize now that when your heart breaks, you’ve got to fight like hell to make sure you’re still alive. Because you are. And that pain you feel? That’s life. The confusion and fear? That’s there to remind you that somewhere out there is something better and that something is worth fighting for.

-One Tree Hill

52. We only regret the chances we didn’t take.

-Lewis Carroll

53. There are two ways to spread light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

-Edith Wharton

54. Self love is so important. Because when you’re all alone and it’s three in the morning and you’re lying on the floor crying and shaking and wishing it all would end, who’s going to be there for you? You. You have to pick yourself up and find the strength to carry on. At the end of the day, you’re all you’ve got.

-Anonymous

55. Every great story on the planet happened when someone decided not to give up, but to keep going no matter what.

-Spryte Loriano

56. A mind that’s stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.

-Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

57. Love someone who is kinder to you than you are to yourself.

-Nikita Gill

58. A part of kindness exists in loving people more than they deserve.

-Joseph Joubert

59. The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people say or do, it is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past . . . we cannot change the fact that people will act a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.

-Charles Swindoll

60. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people only exist.

-Oscar Wilde

61. The fact is that to do anything in the world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in and scramble through as well as we can.

-Robert Cushing

62. The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not wish to sit.

-Nelson Henderson

63. You’re never going to be 100% ready and it’s never going to be just the right time, but that’s the point. It means that every moment is also the right moment. If you want it, you just have to do it.

-Anonymous

64. We push away what we can never understand. We push away the unimaginable.

-Angelica Schuyler

65. You see, the truth so many people seem to miss is that happiness doesn’t start with a relationship, a job, or a college degree. It starts with your thoughts and what you tell yourself every day.

-M.W.

66. There’s so much more to life than finding someone who will want you, or being sad over someone who doesn’t. There’s a lot of wonderful time to be spent discovering yourself without hoping someone will fall in love with you along the way, and it doesn’t need to be painful or empty. You need to fill yourself up with love - not anyone else. Become a whole being on your own. Go on adventures, fall asleep in the woods with friends, wander around the city at night, sit in a coffee shop on your own, write on bathroom stalls, leave notes in library books, dress up for yourself, give to others, smile a lot. Do all things with love; don’t romanticize life like you can’t survive without it, though. Live for yourself and be happy on your own. It isn’t any less beautiful, I promise.

-Emery Allen

67. What we think, we become.

-Buddha

68. Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

69. Life, he says, doesn’t have to be so bad all the time. We don’t have to be anxious about everything. We can just be. We can get up, anticipate that the day will have a few good moments and a few bad ones, and then just deal with it. Take it all in and deal as bes as we can.

-John Corey Whaley

70. There is more good than bad in this world, more light than darkness, and you can make more light.

-Peter Reynolds

71. Good people are like candles; they burn themselves up to give others light.

-Anonymous

72. You never love the same way twice, but that doesn’t mean you won’t love again.

-Sue Zhao

73. We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

-Winston Churchill

74. Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

-Buddha

75. Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

-Will Rogers

76. You have to be odd to be number one.

-Dr. Seuss

77. Life doesn’t always introduce you to the people you want to meet. Sometimes life puts you in touch with the people you need to meet - to help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you, and to gradually strengthen you into the person you were meant to become.

-Anonymous

78. It always seems impossible until it’s done.

-Nelson Mandela

79. Maybe you lost someone you never expected you would lose. Maybe you lost yourself, that’s even worse. When you have bad days that just won’t let up, I just hope that you will look in the mirror and remind yourself of what you are and what you are not. You are not your mistakes. You are not damaged goods or muddy from your failed explorations. You are not the opinion of someone who doesn’t know you. You are a product of the lessons you’ve learned. You are wiser because you went through something terrible. And you are the person who survived a bunch of rainstorms and kept walking. And I now believe that walking through a bunch of rainstorms gets you clean.

-Taylor Swift

80. How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.

-Anne Frank

81. She was in love, but not in love with someone or something, she was in love with her life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything was inspiring.

-Robert M. Drake

82. As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.

-John F. Kennedy

83. Since you get more out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness you are able to give.

-Eleanor Roosevelt

84. When you can’t control what is happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to what is happening. That’s where your power is.

-Anonymous

85. Of course I want to be successful, but I don’t crave success for me. I need to be successful in order to gain enough milk and honey to help those around me success.

-Rupi Kaur

86. Happiness is the experience of loving life. Being happy is being in love with that momentary experience. And love is looking at someone or even something and seeing the absolute best in them/it. Love is happiness with what you see. So love and happiness really are the same thing, just expressed differently.

-Robert McPhillips

87. You never regret being kind.

-Nicole Shepherd

88. The people we surround ourselves with either raise or lower our standards. They either help us to become the best version of ourselves or encourage us to become lesser versions of ourselves. We become like our friends. No one becomes great on their own. The people around them help to make them great. We all need people in our lives who raise our standards, remind us of our essential purpose, and challenge us to become the best version of ourselves.

-Matthew Kelly

89. Problems are not stop signs. They are guidelines.

-Robert H. Schuller

90. Be the reason someone smiles today.

-Lori Deschene

91. There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

-Albert Einstein

92. And then there’s that one moment. The moment when you’ve figured out just how much you’ve grown. It takes you back a step and makes you think. It’s that moment when you can’t look back yet you can’t seem to look too far into the future. It’s the moment you realize you’re living for yourself and no one else. Never let go of that moment.

-Anonymous

93. You can not be lonely if you have learned to love the person you’re alone with.

-Roxana Jones

94. Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

95. And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

-Anais Nin

96. There is something good in this world and it is worth fighting for.

-J.R.R Tolkein

97. A year from now you may wish you had started today.

-Karen Lamb

98. Someone asked me why I am so nice to people who treat me bad and I didn’t know the answer. Then during class, I looked around after finishing my test and realized why. I looked at the boy who made fun of my inability to do math, and his head was on the desk and he looked tired. I know he played i the band, so he had to be at school early, and I wondered if he had something at home keeping him up or maybe it was the amount of class work teachers assigned. I looked at the girl who returned my hellos by snapping her gum and twisting her hair. I knew she and her boyfriend broke up, and I wondered how hard it must be to have everyone concerned in your business. He could probably be a jerk, and I knew that she only acted dumb in class so people would like her. And I thought about the boy in PE who picked me last for teams, how he squinted at his paper and furrowed his eyebrows. It must be a lot of work always practicing, and then also having to get good grades and go to college. And then there was also the girl who everyone thought was a bitch, but little did she know that I saw the scars on her wrist, and then there is the girl who is always reading, and I wonder what she gets from those books or if she is running from something. And then there is the boy who always wears that shirt and I know his shoes have holes in them because when it rains he complains about wet socks, and I wonder if he feels outcasted because he has so little. And the other day who just moved here from Mexico, and he doesn’t speak a lot of English and I can only imagine how confused he is. I can’t imagine learning this stuff in a new language. And even the teacher, I noticed he wasn’t wearing his ring today. Maybe he is giving us more work and more homework because he wants us to do better than he did. The point is, I look at all these people and realize that they have their own troubles and their own demons, and the last thing I want to do is add to them. It’s a lot of pressure growing up, and no matter what anyone says, none of us have it easy.

-Anonymous

99. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.

-H. Jackson Brown

100. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.

-Chuck Palahniuk

101. Travel far enough and you’ll meet yourself.

-David Mitchell

102. None of us really change over time. We only become more fully what we are.

-Anne Rice

103. All endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.

-Mitch Albom

104. The only limits on tomorrow are the doubts we have today.

-Pittacus Lore

105. You have $86,400 in your account and someone stole $10 from you, would you be upset and throw all of the $86,390 away in hopes of getting back at the person that took your $10? Or move on and live? Right, move on and live. See, we have 86,400 seconds in every day, so don’t let someone’s negative ten seconds ruin the rest of your 86,390. Don’t sweat the small stuff, life is bigger than that.

-Anonymous

106. Not all those who wander are lost.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

107. If you’re making mistakes, it means you’re out there doing something.

-Neil Gaiman

108. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

-Paulo Coelho

109. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

-Haruki Murakami

110. Nothing that’s worthwhile is ever easy.

-Nicholas Sparks

111. Anything worth dying for is certainly worth living for.

-Joseph Heller

112. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

113. How little we know of what there is to know.

-Ernest Hemingway

114. Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

-Ralph Ellison

115. I have no idea what’s awaiting me, or what will happen when this all ends. For the moment I know this: there are sick people and they need curing.

-Albert Camus

116. You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.

-Cormac McCarthy

117. It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.

-Paulo Coelho

118. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own, you know what you know, and you are the one who will decide where to go.

-Dr. Seuss

119. It does not do to dwell on dream and forget to live - remember that.

-J.K. Rowling

120. If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me.

-W.H. Auden

121. People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

-Rob Siltanen

122. You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate.

-Elizabeth Gilbert