5 Easy And Practical Tips For Your Quiet Time With God

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" -Matthew 6:33

228
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

Do you find it hard to have quiet time with the Lord sometimes? I know I do. I know I need to spend time with the Lord one-on-one, and I want to, but sometimes I just come up with a thousand different reasons to not. I'll either say I'm too busy or too tired or something else and then end up not doing them.

Well I decided enough is enough and I'm not going to give into my stupid excuses anymore. I'm going to do my devotions and spend time with the Lord. So here are 5 tips on how you can be consistent and intentional with your quiet time.

1. Rid the area of any possible distractions

Turn the TV off. Put your phone on silent. Go to a quieter/ less crowded place. Put in your headphones. Do whatever you need to do to focus solely on the Lord during this time.

2. Relax and get cozy

Maybe don't lay in your bed- because then quiet time may turn into nap time, lol. But sit on a super comfy chair or couch, grab a fluffy blanket and your Bible! Making sure you're comfortable while doing your devotions is important. If you get comfortable beforehand then it won't be a distraction while doing your devotions!

3. Find what interests you!

That may sound weird, but let me explain. i mean pick a book in the Bible/ devotional that interests you or pertains to your life. For example, if you want to be a better prayer warrior then get a devotional that is geared towards that, or find a book in the Bible that spotlights someone who is a devoted prayer. Or if you want to learn more about the life of Jesus then read through the gospels!

4. Remind yourself why you're doing them

When it comes down to it, we have our quiet time or devotional time to grow closer to our Savior. So yeah getting up an hour early is hard, but it's so so worth it. And your flesh will fight you on this. Tell you that you should just sleep in because you work hard all day, or that you shouldn't stay up later, or that don't need to spend an hour alone listening to God because "you're good". But those are all lies, don't believe them. Believe in the word of the Lord who says, "Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." -Joshua 1:8

5. Pray before, during and after

Praying while doing your devotions/ quiet time is very important. After all you have quiet time with God, so it only makes sense to talk to Him while your spending time with Him. And as I said before, your sin nature or flesh will fight you on this.But if you pray throughout your quiet time that the Lord would strengthen you and keep your attention on Him and His word, then when distractions arise, or you start to lose focus, He will bring you back. "keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne." -Hebrews 12:2