These 18 Recipes Are WAY Easier Than They Sound

These 18 Recipes For Hummus, Sorbet, And More Are Surprisingly WAY Easier Than They Sound

Has quarantine turned you into a beginner chef? Try these recipes.

21

Odds are, time has turned you into an amateur chef and if you enjoy cooking, you like to take time out to try out some new-to-you recipes right now. If those two statements are accurate, you're in the right place. So, get out your cookbook and your food processor and let's get to it.

Here are 18 recipes you're going to need to the repertoire of your newly-formed Top Chef persona.

1. Hummus

Unsplash

My personal recipe is one can of chickpeas cooked over the stove until soft, a big spoon's scoop of tahini, the juice of 2 lemons, 2 or 3 big spoonfuls of cold water, and then an eyeballed amount of garlic and an eyeballed tiny bit of cumin in a food processor. I usually top with a tiny bit of salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, and diced onion.

This recipe has the actual measurements.

2. Sorbet

Unsplash

Here is a recipe for an easy strawberry sorbet and one for a lemon sorbet. All you really need is water, the fruit of your choice, sugar, and usually some lemon juice.

Some people suggest swapping regular water for carbonated mineral water or carbonated water as well if you want to be all fancy with it.

3. Ceviche

Unsplash

This is one of my absolute favorite quick, healthy, and satisfying recipes. All you absolutely need is seafood of your choice (I always choose shrimp), lemon juice, salt, onion, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.

Choose a classic recipe or spicy!

4. Almond Milk

Unsplash

It seems as though everyone in the world is just now realizing that they can make their own dairy-free milk from the comfort of their own home and without all of the overpricing and added sugars. It's me.

I am everyone and I am excited about this. Sadly, I don't know how much money this would save you over store-buying your almond milk since almonds are expensive themselves, but hey... you'd get to say you did it, wouldn't you?

5. Oat Milk

Unsplash

Similar to almond milk, you can make your own oat milk at home with just a bit of blending and straining.

Click here to make your own oat milk once and feel like a boujee, domesticated, non-dairy health guru. Since oats are cheap to buy in bulk, this one will definitely save you some money.

6. Fruit-sicles

Unsplash

These are so fun and easy. Just buy some molds at your local super-store or order from Amazon and you're ready to go! This is the best recipe in my opinion.

It is simple, affordable, and tastes great with any fruit chunks or fruit juice you choose to add. Here are some more healthy options as well.

7. Quiche

Unsplash

This a is great breakfast recipe to throw in the oven while getting ready for your day! For the mini quiche pictured above, use a muffin tray. Choosing the muffin tray option cuts cooking time in half. My favorite add-ins are broccoli and feta.

8. Salmon Salad

Unsplash

It's pretty obvious that this recipe is simple but I think the very new chefs out of you may not realize how quick salmon cooks. Here are some different salmon recipes to cook in 30 minutes or less.

Personally, I usually just throw a few plain filets in the oven for 20-25 minutes, lay them and the juice from the pan on top of mixed greens drizzled with vinaigrette (I buy this brand) and add a bit of feta when feel like it.

9. Eggs Benedict

Unsplash

Eggs Benedict can be plated to look so fancy-shmancy but are quick to make and hard to mess up. Try this recipe and swap out the meat for whatever your favorite breakfast meat or seafood is if you'd like!

I swap meat out for crab cakes (which are also surprisingly easy to make at home).

10. Dumplings

Unsplash

These make a fantastic appetizer or meal and can be prepared lighter with just a few veggies or heavier with pork or other meat - so anyone can enjoy them!

11. French Onion Soup

Unsplash

This one may take some practice to get the bread just right but that's the only piece of this recipe you'll even have to try at. I think this tastes ten times better with real bread rather than bagged croutons.

12. Mussels

Unsplash

To make mussels, you literally put them on the stove or in the oven with your favorite seasonings, wait 5 minutes or so, and eat! Three easy recipes are Mussels Marinara, Mussels Fra Diavolo (I'd add a bit more red pepper and cayenne, personally), and White Wine Mussels.

13. Tiramisu

Unsplash

Here's an easy Tiramisu. Here's an unnecessarily extra Tiramisu. Take your pick but know that this impressive dessert is extremely simple to make!

14. Ramen

Unsplash

This rotisserie chicken ramen recipe + replacing the Ramen with quick and easy Top Ramen = a genius, lazy and cheap meal hack.

I personally like following ramen recipes like these when making dinner for a lot of friends on a budget (but then sneaking Udon Noodles instead of ramen into mine because I like them better).

15. Guacamole

Unsplash

I feel like the number of ingredients that go into guacamole often makes people think it's time-consuming and difficult but it involves no cooking and hardly any time!

Click here to see! It's also one you don't have to follow exact measurements for, which always makes a recipe feel less daunting.

16. Pad Thai

Unsplash

You can make a 15-minute Pad Thai!

17. Stuffed Peppers

Unsplash

This is my favorite *make it look fancy but it involves minimal effort* meal. I like to make them with yellow peppers, I like to make them southwest style, and I like to dip them in a chipotle mayo sauce. Yum.

18. Chili

Unsplash

Lightly brown your ground beef (if desired), then drain. Add onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is clear then add tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, kidney beans, pinto beans, and whatever spices you choose.

Click here for measurements and times.

Get cookin'!