"Carve out and claim the time to take care of yourself and kindle your own fire." -Amy Ippoliti

One of the most common complaints I hear about implementing self-care routines is that I simply do not have enough time. We are plenty busy enough with the myriad suggestions for taking care of ourselves, whether that means working out at the gym, attending regular yoga sessions, hour-long meditation sessions, etc.

Sometimes we become so bombarded with all these shoulds that we end up doing nothing at all. Who has the time for all that? How are we supposed to ensure we're engaging in those practices all the time? It can be very discouraging when we do not live up to all the expectations we had for ourselves, so I'm here to cut you some slack: take a minute, two minutes, five minutes, just a small sliver of time to dedicate to yourself when you need it.

Here's one method: first, allow yourself to close your eyes. Take some deep breaths, in and out from your nose. Feel yourself inhabiting your own body--where do you feel tension? can you relax those areas for a moment? '

Here's another method: write down five aspects of yourself that you appreciate, five small things to appreciate around yourself, and five things to look forward to in the future. You can modify these exercises in any way you see fit. There is no right or wrong way to use this time.

This small moment in time can look however you want it to look, those are simply examples of what has helped me. What I do want you to do is to put aside everything else that's going on and exist with yourself. You deserve to have actual breaks from everything and everyone--everyone needs that in their life, and I believe that everyone has the ability to make that a regular habit of theirs.