8 Questions You Need To Stop Asking Twins

The answers are common sense!

804
Jenna You

When someone has the same genes as you, shares the same birthday, is almost always with you-- that is your life as a twin. Being a twin is hard to describe when you haven't had a twin. Yet, people are always so curious (especially psychologists). We hear the same questions all the time, "so I know you get this a lot but..."

Stop right there. Almost everyone who is a twin knows what you are going to ask already.

1. "What's it like being a twin?"

Well, that would be hard to answer when that has been our entire lives. We can't compare it to a life without a twin. So, short answer: it's nice to have someone who can't betray you...hopefully.

2. "Do you guys fight?"

No. Never. Because people who are born from the same egg don't fight.

Yes. We do fight, and I'd say twins probably fight with each other more than normal siblings; we just get over it pretty fast.

3. "Can you feel each others' pain?"

We are separate living beings, which should be enough to answer the question.

4. "Do your parents ever get you guys mixed up?"

Just like all other siblings, parents will always occasionally say the wrong name, not like they actually can't tell the difference. But, I will say when we were babies my sister almost died because my parents accidentally fed me medicine twice (a story for another time).

5. "Have you guys ever switched places for a day?"

There's something about looking the same that makes people think we could somehow get away with switching places even though all our friends can tell us apart. It wouldn't be easy to do during school but some twins have. My mom always suggested I take the SAT for my sister, but that might be overdoing it.

And last but not least...the most annoying (and surprisingly still asked) question:

6. "Is twin telepathy real?"

If you believe that we are living in the world of X-Men, then sure, it is very real. But, I do have to say twins usually blurt out the same thing at the same time, or are usually thinking the same thing. One time, I planned an outfit the night before but when I woke up the next morning, my sister had it on, which answers another question:

7. Yes, we do share clothes.

Because why not?

And lastly,

8. "Who's the better twin?"

Now that is just a messed up question, whether it is a joke or not. Comparing siblings (and people in general) will always happen, but when your parents are already doing it everyday, it is very stressful. So, your answer: One might be better than the other, but I'd rather not know.