6 Phrases People With Invisible Illnesses Are Tired Of Hearing

I promise we aren't making this up.

231

More than 125 million people are suffering from a chronic illness that interferes with their everyday lives, and you wouldn't even know it.

This is because these people have what is known as an "invisible illness". Invisible illnesses include lupus, lyme disease, cancer, and depression, but these are only a few on a long list. I was diagnosed with arthritis when I was 16 years old. This didn't come as much of a shock as I had been experiencing symptoms since I was 8. One thing I realized after my diagnosis was how weird it was to be struggling or in pain, and no one around you would know.

The issue with this is that typically we assign the term disability to what we can see: a wheelchair, amputation, or any visible symptoms. Those with invisible illnesses often have equally debilitating conditions but are overlooked.

Here are a few things we are a little sick of hearing.

1. "Are you just saying you're sick to get out of going?"

Yes, we say we're sick a lot. No, it isn't just an excuse. Our immune systems don't really cooperate.

2. "But you don't look sick!"

I'm sorry, I left my, "I have a disability" label at home.

3. "It's all in your head."

You should mention that to one of my many doctors. They'd be thrilled to hear your input.

4. "Why are you so tired all the time?"

My body is working against me here. That gets pretty exhausting. Just let me nap forever.

5. "You should try exercise instead of medication!"

If I could jazzercise my problems away, I'd be dancing my heart out right now. News flash: working out isn't a magic cure.

6. "So how long until you're better?

It's called "chronic" for a reason. I don't have the flu or a broken bone. It's not exactly a temporary thing.

These are only a few of the questions most of us get on a regular basis. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

But to all the people with invisible conditions, we all can remember one thing.