8 Ways Quarantine Has Changed My Single Life For The Better

8 Ways Quarantine Has Actually Changed My Single Life For The Better

All this "me time" to finally love ME.

1369

I've been single for over a year and a half and it has made for some of the best and most challenging times in my life. I've had to re-learn who I am and truly fall in love with myself again. Being in quarantine can either make someone more positive or negative — sometimes a little of both. However, being by myself has been a blessing because I've been forced, in a way, to learn how to love myself again.

Here are 8 ways quarantine has actually changed my single life for the better:

1. I've been "forced" to date myself

Dating yourself is a strange concept. It's weird to think of taking yourself on dates, doing fun things by yourself... But honestly, it's an amazing and freeing thing. Think of it this way: you know yourself better than anyone. Spoil yourself and buy that shirt you've been eyeing. Splurge and get takeout from your favorite restaurant. Cook yourself your favorite foods. Do whatever makes you feel special because you deserve it. Loving other people can only work if you love yourself first.

2. I've learned that I like to be private

When you're in a relationship, it's hard to keep things private. I'm not talking about keeping secrets, because that's not healthy. Keeping things private may be things like journaling, phone calls with best friends, etc. Being single in quarantine has shown me the private things that are important for me to keep private, and others that I'm willing to share and have others be a part of, as well.

3. I know how I respond to stressful situations on my own

Quarantine has made me face stressful things head-on and by myself, so I've learned what helps me manage stress on my own time without having to take someone else's situation in mind, too.

4. I know how I handle my own day-to-day stressors

Different than general stressful situations, stressors from work, school, and everything else pop up every single day whether you see it or not. Having no on else to lean on but myself has shown me how I positively deal with stressors and how I can work on others in a positive way in the future.

5. I've learned what real "me time" actually is

To everyone, "me time" looks different. For some, that may include binge-watching Netflix, taking a hot shower, playing some video games, playing with a pet... For me, I've learned that sometimes my "me time" is work, extra-long phone calls with friends, or curling up with a book - even if it's just for a few minutes on my lunch break.

6. I know how to be self-sufficient

Shopping for myself, cooking for myself, cleaning for myself... All things that I have to do by myself because I don't have another person to do them for me. I will say, having to create an entire routine for myself has shown me both dedication and patience - especially on long days when I really don't feel like cooking but can't order takeout for the fifth time.

7. I've learned where true loyalties lie

Being alone brings out true colors in other people. That may be realizing who is really there for you and who isn't, where you put too much of your trust and energy, and how much you relied on other people.

8. I've been able to challenge myself in a positive way

Compared to toxic relationships I've been in in the past where I've been negatively challenged, I can set positive goals for myself and see just how far I can go by myself. If that doesn't show strength and persistence, I don't know what does.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.