College Students Discuss Weird Food

College Students Discuss Food: The Weird, The Odd, And The Unpredictable Combinations

An insight into weird food habits.

708
gecko_wizard on Instagram

So the Missouri State Odyssey community was talking about weird food combinations... and it got weird. It got gross. Let me tell you, there are some combinations mentioned that we had never heard of. We have gathered a group of four of us to discuss our weird habits and how to respond to others. First, let's meet the panel:

Meet the Panel: MSU by Odyssey HQ

What is the weirdest food combination that you like, and why?

Jenna: I would have to say the weirdest combination that I love is chicken fingers and applesauce. I remember the first time I tried it. I accidentally spilled my applesauce on my chicken. I instantly threw a fit because I didn't want to eat it, but my dad made me. I ended up loving it! The applesauce tones down the spices in the chicken fingers and, oh my goodness, it tastes amazing. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Alexandria: The weirdest food combination, hmmm. I would have to say dipping my grilled cheese in ketchup. Ohhh, it's so good! I don't remember how I even started doing it, but I've done it as long as I can remember. I just flat out love ketchup in general. On chips, my grilled cheese, ham, everything, lol!

Megan: Grilled cheese with ketchup for sure. I can't say why I like it other than I started eating it from a very young age out of nowhere and just liked it. And it somehow made it to full-fledged adulthood.

Kaitlynn: I really love grapes and hot sauce! One night when I was in seventh grade, my friend has a bowl of grapes at her house and we were just messing around and playing with different foods. We were throwing grapes at each other and trying to catch them in our mouths and mixing all kinds of stuff together. I even remember us eating spoonfuls of minced garlic and dumb stuff like that. Then we just dipped a grape in some hot sauce. I didn't really like it at first but then I just kept dipping the grapes in. Next thing you know, I'm packing them in my lunchbox to take to school. I think, for me, it's the perfect level of sweet and spicy!

How do people react when they see you eat your special food combination?

Jenna: Well, when the server asks what type of sauce I want for my chicken tenders, I say applesauce. They usually get a really confused look on their faces and then walk away slowly. Then when people see me dipping my chicken fingers in my applesauce, they just give me a puzzled look. I stare them down. They look away. Simple.

Alexandria: People are so shocked! I always get, "You don't seriously like that, do you?" or the "You're not 5 years old." I'm a really picky person, so when I find a combination that I like I'm really excited, but people always think it's weird how I can be so picky and like the weirdest combinations. It's like how I like to eat a Wendy's chocolate frosty with their fries; my family always comments on how odd it is.

Megan: Oh, gosh. They honestly think it's the grossest thing ever and that I am ruining a perfectly good grilled cheese, but the only people who actually have something to say about it are those closest to me. If I'm out in public doing it, nobody ever says anything. I just get some very strange looks.

Kaitlynn: When people see me dip a grape (preferably red) into hot sauce, they don't notice right away. But once they do notice it, they definitely think it's weird. I get a lot of gross looks, but when I first started eating it I had some of my friends try it and they said it wasn't good but it wasn't bad. But I think it's delicious! Either way, I'm still going to eat it!

What's the weirdest or most gross food combination you have heard of people liking?

Jenna: Pickles and peanut butter. For one, pickles are nasty - sorry, not sorry. Second, pickles and peanut butter... nasty. Those two do not mix. I don't care what you tell me.

Alexandria: Toast and mayonnaise! My boyfriend just recently started eating that and I thought it was so odd. He said he saw it on some YouTube video and thought to try it, lol!

Megan: Ketchup and pizza. Don't get me wrong, I love both of those things and would never shame someone for it because, let's face it, I have my own weird food combos that some would find absolutely disgusting. But I just personally can't with pizza and ketchup.

Kaitlynn: I haven't heard of anyone outside of my family doing this, but my mom's side of the family eats cottage cheese (which is already disgusting)! But anyway, they mix cottage cheese with cold baked beans right from the can... I swear I can never sit next to them when they eat it because the smell and the temperature and the look of it just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

How would you suggest people respond to others and their unique tastes?

Jenna: You know, everyone likes different things. Everyone is different. If someone likes something you don't, leave them alone. As my 8-year-old brother says, "Don't steal their yum."

Alexandria: Everybody is obviously different and likes different things. I don't think we should judge other people for what they like. Yes, some things are silly and that's okay, but sometimes people put others down for the things they like to eat and that's not okay. Somebody shouldn't feel ashamed of what they like to eat.

Megan: Personally, we all have that one weird thing that we eat and none of us want to be shamed for doing it, so my guess is that person you're about to criticize for eating something they find delicious probably doesn't want to be shamed either. Maybe just let people enjoy the things they love.

Kaitlynn: Everyone has different taste buds, we like different things. I don't think people should show their feelings about what people like to eat and what they enjoy. Think about this as a learning experience. No one should get judged based on what they like to eat, what their hobbies are and what their habits are!

So, before you judge someone for the things they like to eat together, stop and think. We all have our weird quirks, so let's just accept each other's!

From Your Site Articles