I'm Going To Put My Happiness Above Yours And Yes, That's OK

Sometimes your happiness and wellbeing is the most important...don't let others prevent you from doing that.

154
Personal photo

Me being 20 and a Junior in college, I have seen and been through a lot of things in life that has taught me some very hard but meaningful life lessons. One, in particular, has really been resonating with me and I have been working on it a lot. It's can be controversial but putting your happiness above others is important and you should do it too. I'm not saying that you should be rude and disrespectful to others, but in life, there are times that you need to make sure that you are happy before you can focus on making others happy.

Sometimes in life, you hit a wall and you don't feel the happiest or that you are where you should be. Everyone goes through this, you are not alone. But what you need to do during these times is make sure that you are doing everything that makes YOU the happiest you can be.

I know, I know, this can be hard. Of course, there are people in your life that you want to please and their happiness matters to you. I know for me that there are specific people that aren't in the best headspace, and I want to help them get through it and feel their best again. But, one thing I have realized that I can't do is help my friends pick themselves up off the ground when I'm still on the ground as well.

While me putting myself before others can make me seem like a bad friend, I promise that is not my intent. My only wish is to be the best friend, or whatever our relationship is, that I can be and in order for me to do this, I need to make sure that I can support you and give you the best. Maybe in your mind, this logic seems twisted, but sometimes if all you do is give and help others, you forget to help yourself.

When I am back to being and feeling like me, of COURSE, I will make your happiness a priority in my life again. Not to say that it wasn't in the time being. It just will be more clear that I am doing my best to bring happiness to the BOTH of us.

So by all means, if you don't think I am being good by doing this than maybe our values and lifestyles aren't in sync. But if you can support me when I need to work on me, then I will do everything I can to support you and bring you joy in your life as well.