Please, Put Your Phone Down.

Please, Put Your Phone Down.

Lets let this sink in for a bit...

19
Please, Put Your Phone Down.
Why Don't You Try This

I'm taking a communications class at my college right now and some of the material has really pulled at my heart strings. This class has really made me think about the world we live in today, really made me wonder what our purpose is.

Communication has always been one of the things I pay attention to the most in people. I've always looked into how a persons posture is when they are talking to you, how actively listening they are, etc. But, I've never really took into consideration how communicably scared we actually are.

Lets let this sink in a little bit...

Since when has it been okay to go out and do things (like going out to eat for example) with another person, or a group of friends, and pay more attention to our phone than paying attention to the real live conversations going on around you?

Since when has it been okay to be texting someone, or surfing the web, or whatever the hell you are doing while someone is trying to have a serious, meaningful conversation with you? Are you even listening to what they are saying? No, you're not.

When has it become acceptable to pull your phone out at the movies because all of a sudden you became bored with what was on the screen...or because you felt your phone buzz. Is that text or alert you just got more important than the person you are with right now?

Since when has it been okay for people to vent online (to strangers even) because their friend was too busy on their phone to even register half of what they were saying?

Since when is it okay to only communicate with your friends via group message because you don't feel like going out and dealing with the "real world"?

Since when did we start caring more about what Lady Gaga was wearing than the bombing that happened in Syria, killing over a three hundred people? Oh that's right, it's not trending on Twitter, so who cares.

Since when has it become okay to pay more attention to your phone than to what is happening in front of you?

Since when have we become so afraid to say something to someone face-to-face?

Since when did we let phones and social media start controlling our lives?

It's time to make a couple of changes...

I feel as though technology has dumb-ed (sorry, but not really that sorry) people down. They believe what they see on Twitter or Facebook, but don't actually pay attention to statistics. Technology has made people lose touch with the world.

Start paying attention more to the people around you and less to what is on your phone screen.

Say hi to the person next to you on the metro or bus. Wave to the person who just smiled at you while passing you on the street. Is it really that hard to put down your phone for a few hours?

Technology has taken away our communication abilities. It has taken away the meaningfulness of conversations and human interaction.

It's time to change that.

When you are paying more attention to your phone than to your surroundings, you might miss something incredible that's happening right in front of you.

There's so much more I want to say, but don't have enough words to say it. So, I'm going to leave this video here. It will only take 5 minutes from your day to watch it...