Why I'm Pursuing A Tough Career

Why I'm Pursuing A Tough Career

And why I love every minute of it

27
Why I'm Pursuing A Tough Career
USF Health

Nursing. One of the most challenging careers out there. I know some of you are going to disagree with that statement. I could talk all day about how wrong you are, but I'll save that article for another day. Today I would just like to talk about how I decided for myself that going into the nursing field is right for me.

At a young age, I had always enjoyed going to the doctors office. It was so exciting to stand on the scale and have my weight taken. I loved being able to have my temperature taken, as well as my blood pressure. It was fascinating to me that nurses could find out so much information about my health in such little time. Having the cold stethoscope pressed against my back gave me shivers, but I loved every minute of it. I'm not sure why I didn't see myself becoming a nurse at this point in life. Perhaps I didn't think you'd make very much money doing this sort of thing.

I knew I was really athletic and smart, and I wanted my career to be something that I knew I would enjoy but still be able to show how talented I am through my job performance. I thought maybe being a physical trainer or an accountant would be something I'd be good at and would earn myself a decent salary. As I began to think more seriously about what my future career would be, I really had no solid idea of what I wanted to do.

Another new year of high school soon started and the pressure to figure out what I wanted to do with my life became more and more prominent. A new year of school starting also meant a new year of church groups would start, as well. I was informed that the girls group had a new leader and her name was Denise. The moment I met her, our personalities clicked. The more I got to know Denise and talk with her, the more she started to become my role model. In my head I could picture growing up to be just like her.

I eventually learned that Denise works as a nurse. At first, I simply wanted to be a nurse because she was a nurse. After thinking about it more in depth, I realized that could actually be the perfect thing for me to do as a career! Flashbacks of all the times I somehow enjoyed going to the doctors office came flowing back into my head. I finally knew, nursing is what I want to do.

Now, I knew saying I wanted to be a nurse and actually knowing what goes on in being a nurse are two completely different things. I thought perhaps I should investigate a little more about nursing and make sure that is the right fit for me. Fortunately, my high school offered an off-campus pre-professional nursing course that I could take for three hours during every school day. I was so excited! I just had to get accepted into this course! It would be perfect for me! And it was. Because of this course I was able to get certified in first aid, as well as in CPR. Not only that, but I went the extra mile and did some additional work to become a Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA, as well! In the Spring of this course, we had a segment of hospital clinicals. I was so fortunate as to be able to shadow at St. Luke's East Hospital in several different departments. I enjoyed the several times I shadowed in surgery, as well as in radiology, the ICU, and a couple other departments. I saw things I never thought I would see! It was a truly amazing experience.

I was also blessed with an opportunity to miss a whole day of school, and instead shadow a CRNA in surgery for a eight hours at Research Medical Center instead. Of course I jumped on that opportunity right away! You would not believe all the amazing operations that I was able to view and see what goes on in procedures and how all sorts of equipment is used. Before this experience, I had thoughts of becoming a Nurse Anesthetist, or CRNA, and it was on this visit that I knew it was one-hundred percent the field of study, and certification, that I wanted to pursue.

I knew this would be an incredibly difficult certificate to achieve, but I knew down in my gut that I was ready and determined enough to put in the effort to make this dream career a reality. I am still on that path to becoming a CRNA, but I haven't doubted once since that day that I would persevere and earn this tough degree.

Thank you, Denise Hamblin for being such an inspiration to me, and thank you St. Luke's East Hospital and Research Medical Center for these awesome learning experiences.