If You Want A Career In Marketing, Follow These 9 Steps
Life Stages

The career demands you to pitch editors for the content ideas, apply for freelance gigs, or any other role. You will definitely be hearing "no" a number of times.

100
Man wearing a business suit and sitting down

A person will always have to face one definite question once you enter the world of marketing: How did you get into this? And the person asking this question must have experienced a number of different answers to it. You know that the job market is full of various degrees in advertising, PR, communications, and marketing. I am doing this for more than three years and doing it in my way. You should listen to everyone but try to do it in your way. That's the key to success.

And since nowadays people are fighting for the same profile, those who want to start a career in marketing should know how to make a place for themselves.

Here are nine important steps you need to remember for building a career in the same.

1. Find a broad base

Well, unless you are not sure about which specific area of marketing you want to step in, till then you have an opportunity to learn about all other types of marketing. This will allow you to know your strengths and weaknesses and also helps you understand what actually your forte is. Not just this but getting a broad base will even help you grow as a marketer when you advance your career.

2. Become familiar with the word "no"

Not just starting your career in marketing but with any other thing you wish to start, you'll probably hear this word "no" more than a "yes." The career demands you to pitch editors for the content ideas, apply for freelance gigs, or any other role. You will definitely be hearing "no" a number of times. But remember this is how you are exactly bringing yourself a step closer to a "yes." So take this rejection as a chance to learn and to brush up your skills.

3. Branch out

Always try to put an extra effort to get in touch with the co-workers outside your immediate team and try to know them as much possible. That way you'll definitely find your work more enjoyable plus you'll surely make yourself better at your role. In case, you don't know where to start simply focus or get in contact with sales, product development or HR team. These new relationships can become a prime way to your growth. When you a good communication from these groups you'll able to know their point of views, lingo, and will understand how a product or service should be marketed correctly.

4. Embrace the industry

According to the experts, one has to have lived and breathed the industry if you're truly passionate about excelling in any specific industry. This is one industry, which is ever changing. Facebook, Instagram, Google are some of the platforms, which are used to reach the target audiences. These platforms simply keep on evolving and different tactics to get better and better results every day. Successful marketers always focus on what they do, in fact, what they love to do and make sure it should always remain on the top of the latest news, developments, and trends.

5. Find inspiration

Well, there's a saying that inspiration can come from anywhere, which is actually true also. For your information, some of the best marketers keep a number of files, examples, or samples from different companies. They even take some material from job fairs, some personal or professional parties they attend, or any networking events. Whatever they find interesting and useful they take it and store them for their repository. So why not take some advantages from there?

6. Focus on important skills

You don't need to be a writer if it comes to writing. But you need to write every day to clarify things and for your own learning or understanding. Writing, storytelling, and communication are some of those skills that never become outdated in marketing. Make sure you always carry these valuable skills with you because for example, when it is about captions for a video, blog post or copy for a landing page your writing skills will help you a lot.

7. Attend sales meetings

Never miss a chance to attend a client or customer meeting. If possible, make sure you are a part of your sales team. That way you'll be able to learn and understand the product or service from their point of view. This will help you understand the main points of your customer and also you'll get to know the need your product or service is filling.

8. Collect marketing materials

The only way you can understand your product or service in a better way by reading all about it. Whenever and however possible, just collect the company's marketing materials as much as you can, be it advertisements, blogs, or any other thing. Just go through whatever you can get your hands on, whether it is any old email campaign or proposal. And never hesitate to ask any question regarding the same.

9. Stay educated

Just see what is that thing, which can help you in order to continue your education? It can be a podcast, a blog, a class, etc. the earlier you identify it the more beneficial it would be for you. Things change really fast in marketing so make sure you always remain one step ahead. Ensure that you are learning the best and too that in an enjoyable manner.