Puerto Rico, My Culture

Puerto Rico, My Culture

¡Yo soy Boricua, pa' que tu lo sepas!

874
Puerto Rico, My Culture
Rafael Sarduy/Pinterest

My culture means color. My culture means strength. My culture means unity. Happiness is a fleeting and irreplaceable sentiment, and there is always a spark when I think of my people, their music, and our traditions. All of the factors that unite us, as individuals, and distinguish us, as a whole, are part of what makes my culture so incredible and unique. I do not feel out of place, I do not feel lost or lonely. It is simply not possible when one is a Puerto Rican. There is always a neighbor to lend a hand, whether they are lifelong acquaintances or newly formed friends. There is always someone there for you, and that is the most crucial part for a true community.

Everyone is accepted exactly as they are, and they not only accept themselves, but they define their minds with screaming colors, or silent words that ring out loudly no matter how low you tone down the volume.

To me, my culture means happiness. One is only happy when one is free of judgment; in other words, full of acceptance. To produce or create one's own happiness is quite a difficult task, because even if we don't notice it, there is always an outer source of dependents. When will you, in your thoughts, be solely happy? The question is unanswered, but the solution can be found, though not shared. Happiness varies from person to person, from city to cell. One of the most important sources of happiness is acceptance. Whether acceptance of self, of others, or of all, when any form of it is established one finds a grand relief and a great weight dissipated. Acceptance is the key to freedom; when you release others’ chains, you release your own as well.

How acceptance is incorporated is, in the long run, up to the person. In most cases, the background and culture largely influence prejudices, limitations and identity, all of which shape overall freedom and acceptance. Walking on the line of cultural independence is where my culture, my community, my country, can be found. I identify with the loud, obnoxious, joyful, self-aware, careless, quiet, thoughtful paradox that is my people. My culture is freedom. Freedom to believe what you deem right or wrong, or just existence, freedom to be happy, whether quiet or loud, freedom to be everything you can at the same time, freedom to be a contradiction. Not only a hypothetical contradiction but also a contradiction to society, to the common thought, to the established norms. Basically freedom to be whoever you want. Whether a loudmouth, or loud thoughts, what distinguishes my culture and my people is that they are always joyful, always boisterous, always full of life. Not only do they portray this with lightness, but they also accept and smile at all others who do the same as they do, and they smile even wider at those who don't. I would never change my culture if I had the chance, because there is no better situation to grow up in, to form an individual, and to create happiness, all whilst challenging intellect. I’ve learned to work hard and play hard, without overbearing myself.

This is not only a paradise of sun and sea, but also of acceptance and liberty.

No matter where you go or who you’ve become, there will always be the open arms of Puerto Ricans to welcome you home. There is always a place for an addition to our island family, where everybody knows each other, and you are always someone's cousin. The warmth and sympathy of strangers, the simple smiles and good mornings exchanged, they assure me every day that I wouldn't have grown up anywhere else. The sentiment of happiness and pride that overwhelms me when we all come together to either celebrate or support, is incomparable. United as a people, whether in a sports event, another country, even on social media, we support each other and we are always proud of our roots. To me, my culture means happiness.