To The Younger Cousin Graduating, I'm Proud Of You, But I Feel SUPER Old Now

We’ve grown up together and have always been close despite our age difference.

72
Aliyah Mallak

To my younger cousin,

You are the closest thing to a brother I’ve ever had. We’ve grown up together and have always been close despite our age difference.

We did everything we could together.

Family functions, sleepovers, vacations, you name it we were begging our parents to do it together.

And if you weren’t going, I didn’t want to go.

To this day we still only want to go to the family reunion if the other person is going (I’m not this year so good luck if you go).

Even as we have gotten older we still want to do things together.

Granted, we don’t near as much as we used to. With me living in Philly and you working all the time, it’s hard to find time to hang out.

Watching you grow up has been interesting.

I don’t think you realize how old you make me feel. It didn’t hit me until you turned 18 this year.

And now you’re graduating in less than a month.

I’ve watched you grow up from a small, shy kid to awkward teenager to young adult.

You seriously make me feel really old.

But I hope you know how proud I am of you. I know we don’t talk as much as we used to or see each other as often. I know I don’t really say it, but it’s true.

I am extremely proud of you.

You have worked your ass off over the past year or so. You completed your dental hygienist thing with flying colors. You have worked your way up at your job. You kept your grades relatively good.

And you got into the college you wanted.

I know that may not seem like a lot or like things to be super proud of, but they are. You’re doing everything I hoped you would and more.

So, please keep doing these things.

Have fun at prom, enjoy the last few weeks of school. But keep doing great things and bettering yourself. Get out of this town and go out and do something with your life.

Go be something.

I’m proud of you and I hope you know that.

Love,

Your older (but not too old) cousin