I Am Proud To Be A Black Female, But Stop Making Me Feel Like "I Do Not Act Black Enough"

Should I feel ashamed? No... because I love who I am.

666
Angelica Walker

It is unfortunate that in our society there are stereotypes for everything. For example, there are stereotypes on how a person should act based on their gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation. This can make people afraid to be themselves, because of these stereotypes.

There have been times when I have felt like I do not fit in with my own race. Black people are seen as acting violent, being loud, lazy, and uneducated. However, I am not one for violence. I like to spread peaceful vibes. For the most part, I am quiet because I do not like being the center of attention. I know black people who work hard, to provide for themselves, and their families to survive in this world.

I am continuing my journey on receiving an education, to have a bright future for myself. Phrases such as, “acting white" or “talking white,” and “acting black” or “talking black” are offensive to me. “Acting white” according to Urban Dictionary is, “A term used with black people to call this person a sell-out. Basically if you listen to any song not made by a black person, use the word 'like' in a sentence more than once, and things even as good as getting good grades."

“Talking white” according to Urban Dictionary is, “An ignorant term used by ghetto acting and talking black people who believe that just because you talk more properly and don't sound 'ghetto' like them, you're automatically white.”

"Acting black” or “talking black” means a white person is trying to impersonate how black people "act".

I am proud to be a black female, and I am always interested in learning about black culture. I like to present myself as being an educated woman when meeting people. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn about different cultures, or showing people you are intelligent, and being yourself.

Black people are remembered for their incredible contributions to society, in some of these ways: inventing technology to make lives easier, being involved in politics, and fighting for equality for everyone. People such as Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and Malcolm X are inspirational to me because they were fighting for black people to have rights, and to be treated with respect. They motivate me to help continue to fight for equality for everyone.