Protecting Servers From Bad Tippers

Protecting Servers From Bad Tippers

servers aren’t hostage negotiators and shouldn't have to be

22
Protecting Servers From Bad Tippers
Pixaboy

I was at a particular restaurant yesterday. You probably didn’t notice me — I am very observant to how customers treat their waiter or waitress. I always hope customers realize how dependent these serving staff are on their tips and will be generous with them. After all, they only make on average $2.13 per hour without tip. Our American laws.allow restaurants to pay waiters so poorly because they are expected to make up the difference in tips.

Many of those who choose not to tip, justify not tipping or poor tipping for a number of reasons. One being poor service and the other is because they're "poor" themselves. Others will say they work here so they have to bend over backwards for you “because that’s their job” and not expect a tip. But, our American laws do not protect servers who are victims of this customer cruelty.

Aside from the fact that I believe waiting on someone is no easy task; customers are demanding, ruthless, and can be anything but kind. A server's failure to obey demands results in being "punished." They think their hallowed “customer” status somehow gives them the right to not tip because after all, they're already paying for food.

But contrary to what many customers may think, it’s actually not their job to deal with psychopaths. Servers should expect a decent tip because our American laws do not protect them from poor tippers. A tip that would allow them to make up that $2.13 hourly wage. These servers aren’t hostage negotiators and shouldn't have to be. They're employees who are just looking to get by. And even if the power is in the customer's hands because a large majority have decided customers will always do the right thing and tip well - our laws need to change. Perhaps it's good business to placate adults who throw temper tantrums in public or simply quietly "punish" a server by not tipping. But, that isn't my point. I could rant about the million reasons servers should get tipped well. My point is that, our American laws must protect those who are victims of this cruelty. Servers should be paid minimum wage, at least.

As customers, we all get a unwanted item on our burgers every now and then. Perhaps our meal is totally wrong or we weren't given extra straws. But, because our laws don't protect servers, we are all expected to handle it like mature and decent adults. We are to still tip and tip well. Some of us manage to make it through our whole lives without ever feeling the need to punish a restaurant employee over some small and fixable mistake. Others, such as yourself, will draw a giant zero.

Our laws need change. We need to protect servers from customers who aren't exactly giving.