The Pros and Cons of Streaming Platforms

Even with their pros, they all have some downfalls.
1116

Everyone knows about streaming platforms. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Go, you name it, it probably exists. While each platform has its perks, the also have their downfalls. If you're trying to decide whether a streaming platform is for you--in the end it probably will be--here are some pros and cons.

Pro: You can take your favorite TV shows and movies anywhere...

Most streaming platforms mention this pro all of the time. It's an easy way to convince people to sign up. Being able to use multiple devices to watch something is great when you're trying to pass the time, like when you're on your break at work or waiting for a flight at the airport. When you want to stay in and nothing good is on TV, finding something you enjoy watching only takes a few clicks of a button.

Con: ... Unless the wi-fi or 4G just isn't feeling it.

Like most things in such an abundantly technological time, you need wi-fi or a mobile network to do anything. If the wi-fi isn't working wherever you happen to be, you'll just have to wait until you're somewhere it does work. Should the world suddenly enter post-apocalyptic mode, access to your shows will cease to exist. How will we survive the zombie apocalypse without The Walking Dead to help us???

Pro: You have access to nearly every show and movie in existence...

I think the access is the main reason people love instant streaming. Netflix especially has a great variety of original TV shows and movies, as well as multiple others ranging from hidden gems, classics, and every season of that show people keep telling you to watch. Hulu also offers several enjoyable original shows and next day episodes from current shows. Recently the Criterion Collection created a streaming site called Film Struck that, like the other sites, provide a large number of critically acclaimed films, both classic and modern.

Con: ...The operative word being "nearly."

Unfortunately much of the content offered doesn't last forever. Unless something is specific to the platform (e.g a Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime original), it will eventually disappear. Some movies return, some don't, and others are never available to instantly stream. So you can't always say "I'll wait for it go on (insert streaming service of choice)." But here's a bit of good news: if you're looking to watch older shows and movies not on "Instant Watch" anywhere, Netflix is the only way to avoid the downfall of not having certain content available. They offer a DVD service where you can have DVDs sent to your house in a quick fashion. Crazy, right? Another perk: late fees don't exist.

Pro: You don't need to leave your house, or even your bedroom, to watch something...

Similar to the first pro I mentioned, streaming platforms and their mobile apps mean you don't need anything except your phone to watch a TV show or movie. Your favorites literally fit in your pocket for easy access. Having a Hulu app on your phone is great for those days where you don't want to leave your bed.

Con: ...You lose some of the experience that comes with watching a show or movie.

Let's face it, streaming platforms are slowly killing the movie industry. With many movies eventually ending up on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc., no one really needs to worry about paying for a movie ticket. The problem? The experiences are too different. Sure, you can watch a great blockbuster on a five-inch screen, but it won’t be nearly as immersive and enjoyable of an experience. In a movie theater you have the luxury of watching a film on a screen that stretches almost from the floor to ceiling. Watching shows on a computer or a television screen can offer a better view than one from a phone or a tablet, but you still don’t get the full theater experience Absolutely take advantage of what streaming platforms offer, but remember to enjoy them in the best way possible from time to time.