Pros And Cons Of Not Having A Close Family During The Holidays
Family

11 Pros And Cons Of Not Having A Close Family During The Holidays

More isn't always merrier.

59

Seems like this time of year all I see are pictures of big happy family gatherings — aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents all surrounding a Thanksgiving dinner table, Christmas tree or holiday concert. Most of my extended family lives hundreds of miles away. I've never gotten to experience that, and sometimes it bums me out.

Here are some pros and cons of not having those giant family holiday celebrations.

Pro: Saving money on gifts

I have a handful of gifts to buy each year and I don't have to worry about a gift for my third cousin twice removed or my uncle's sister's mom's stepson.

Con: Bare gift corners

As nice as it is not having to worry about gifts for 20 or 30 people, it is sort of sad when I only have an armful of gifts under the tree for my friends and family. But being on a budget means I don't have a giant tree, so it all works out.

Pro: Not having a house full of people

I'm an extrovert, but I like my house to be a place of calm. Extended family members running around does not sound calm to me.

Con: Not having a lot of family photos

We just don't get together to take nice family photos. I have some selfies with my parents and a picture of my grandparents and I at my high school graduation, and that's really about it.

Pro: Not being interviewed about your life

Those tweets about aunts and uncles bombarding you with questions about college, your love life, and what you're doing after graduation? Can't relate. Don't want to relate.

Con: Not knowing family super well

I don't get asked a million questions about my life, so I don't get to ask a million questions about the lives of my extended family. Most of mine live hundreds of miles away, so it's years between times we get together. You miss a lot when your family isn't close.

Pro: Quality time is quality

I may not be surrounded by hordes of family during the holidays, but I do get to spend time with my parents and a little bit of time with my grandparents. Getting to be at my parents' house gives me opportunities to catch up with the ones that I love.

Con: People thinking that you're a black sheep

"Why don't you go home for longer around the holidays? Don't you wanna be around your family? Do you hate your family or something?"

Uh sorry that my holidays look different from yours? I just don't wanna be home for a month with nothing to do but watch TV and get FOMO from other peoples' family holiday Instagram posts.

Pro: No stressful travelling

It takes me about three hours to drive to my parent's house, and they live about 15 minutes from my grandparents. I don't have to worry about going to five different places during the holidays, busy airports or traffic.

Con: Picking up shifts for people celebrating

When everyone is headed out for holiday travels, it seems like a great chance to pick up some shifts and make more money. And that's the devil talking.

I'm happy that they get to celebrate, but it would be nice if they didn't need to celebrate for so long.

Pro: Realizing that what makes the holidays great is the people you ARE close to

It doesn't matter if my house isn't full of aunts and uncles and cousins and everyone else. What matters is that I know the people who are close to me and who I love, and that's what makes the holidays so special.