The Pros And Cons Of Moving

The Pros And Cons Of Moving

AKA a story of where did your friends go?

1587
The Pros And Cons Of Moving

We've all had to move, some more than others, and I have moved enough for everyone. After almost 15 different moves in my life, I figured it was about time to share the pros and cons of moving.

Pro: Moving to a new place gives you a reason to detox your life. When you move, you have a chance to go through everything that you own and re-do you. I always use this time to reflect on what is important and core to who I am. It can be very therapeutic.

Con: Going through everything on your own is exhausting. At some point you give up and lay in the middle of your floor asking yourself why you need so many shoes, and why on earth is the notebook from eighth grade still with you.

Pro: You turn into a child again. Everything you own becomes a magical distraction. Since when did rubber bands become hours of fun? Since the moment you realized there are only two days left to leave your apartment. Nothing is better than childlike wonder.

Con: You spend hours cleaning. I mean hours, possibly days. It's draining. No one ever wants to clean for that long. Not just vacuuming, you get to scrub baseboards. Such fun.

Pro: New home. No matter how draining the moving process can be, the new home is always exciting. There is something great about going to a new place and making it yours all over. While it can be bitter sweet, moving lets you keep redefining aspects of your life.

Con: New routes. One of the things I don't like about moving is learning how to get around town again. Walking to class requires a different path. Getting to work could take longer or shorter. Trying to figure out where the nearest slushie machine is located is one of the most important things. You really have to take a while and figure out your new routes.

Pro: New roommates! Whether the last roommate was good or bad, or if you are living alone now, there is something great about living with new people. If it's friends you get more time with them, if it's new people, you have the chance for more friends.

Con: New roommates. I know, I know. I just said that is a pro, but people always come with two sides. One night you are laughing your heads off, the next day you're mad over some dishes or trash. Roommates are either a hit or a miss. They can be a pro, or a con. People are people after all.

Pro: You find out who your true friends are. Okay, so that might be a little harsh, but to some extent it is true. Some friends are more than willing to help you pack, clean and move. Others not so much. So remember to thank those who help you out – they deserve it.

Con: Friends can seem to disappear at this time. Whether they just happen to be sick, out of town, visiting an old friend, or just got in their car, it seems everyone has an excuse. It's the classic tale of no one wanting to help you move. It's okay though, they will all show up to your first party.

No matter what moving is to you, it is one thing for certain: life changing. A small move still puts you in a new spot. Being on your own teaches you new lessons. Roommates create memories for better or worse. Lastly, moving away from the know sets you on a new course. While there are many pros and cons to moving, it is always something new, and where there is new there is a chance for something beautiful to happen.

Happy Moving.