Daylight Savings Time, As Told By Spongebob Squarepants

8 Pros And Cons Of Daylight Savings Time, As Told By Spongebob Squarepants

No matter how you see it, DST is here to stay (even though time is a social construct).

197
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZETCJ1oVOUU

If you're just as bewildered as I am by time going quickly, you are not alone. I realized earlier this week that Daylight Savings Time is here, and we all know what that means by now: We spring forward!

Depending on if you're a night owl or early bird, Daylight Savings Time can be either an uplifting and motivating experience throughout the year or a dreaded time of year where it feels like no end is near. No matter how you see it, DST is here to stay (even though time is a social construct). Read on to learn some pros and cons of this phenomenon...as told by the sponge himself.

1. More daylight!

media.giphy.com

Are you a huge fan of sunshine and can't get enough of it? You're in luck because Daylight Savings Time means an extra hour of sunshine!

2. Productivity boost.

media.giphy.com

For me, more daylight equates to more opportunities to be creative, get chores done and more. Plus, when the chores are finished, I have time to drink some tea and relax in the afternoon sun!

3. Afternoons are longer.

media.giphy.com

If you take night classes or work during the night, you'll know that DST arriving is practically a godsend. I personally hated walking around campus at night by myself, so when the sun sticks around longer, it provides us girls with a stronger sense of security and safety.

4. It lasts nearly eight months.

media.giphy.com

From early-mid March to early-mid November, you can expect Daylight Savings Time to stick around. And if you're a fan of this time of year, of course, it means you should get excited!

5. Less sleep.

media.giphy.com

Of course, with DST in full force, we naturally lose an hour of sleep. Prepare to either go to bed earlier or sacrifice an hour regardless.

6. Time will go FASTER.

media.giphy.com

Time goes way too fast, and in my opinion, it needs to slow down. Thanks to that extra hour we skip, before you know it, Daylight Savings Time will be wrapping up!

7. We have to reset our clocks. 

media.giphy.com

If you're “old-school" and wear analog watches like I do, or have clocks around your living space, you'll know how much of a hassle it is to set each and every one of them after the time changes. Here's a tip: Have your smartphone or electronic device handy so you can be precise with the time-setting.

8. The morning sun's arrival changes.

media.giphy.com

Do you love when the sun comes up around a certain time? Well, get ready to say goodbye to that until November, because DST will cause the sun to rise another hour later.