The Pros and Cons of Dating the "Artist"

What really happens when you're seeing the "creative guy?"

561

So you're dating the unpredictable, sexy musician. Or you're seeing the upcoming Brad Pitt in the theatre department. Or maybe even the coffee shop barista with the best wink.  

You're life must be a nonstop carnival ride. You're the one that approves the latest lyrics, the model for the next portrait, or the one who receives the free coffee from that cutie. I mean, you have to be the luckiest human in town to rope in these unique, "gods amongst men."

From the girl that has had the personal pleasure of experiencing some of these creative minds, let me just stop you right there. 

While there are many perks to being the significant other of the seemingly untouchable guys on the block, the cons to dating the next Harry Styles should not be overlooked.  

1. Going solo with the entirely-too-attractive musician.

This guy is always dripping with sex appeal: it comes with the territory. The musician will forever be the bane and blessing of my existence.  There's something about a man with a guitar that always seems to reduce a girl to gooey, little puddles. He has a talent, isn't afraid of a little attention and knows how to work a crowd.  You get free shows, an enhanced taste in music and the hilarious envy of every other girl in the audience.  

I believe the perks end here. 

While it's nice to rope in the guy every girl is after, it can also be hell on Earth. You can be his biggest fan, but you'll be forced to watch the mediocre groupies drape themselves over your personal entertainer until it becomes second nature to observe. I'll pray for you if you're seeing the lead singer.  

Going on dates with your man will normally consist of his bandmates tagging long, and there will always be lyrics or song ideas in the main topic of conversation (don't forget about the songs involving exes that came before you). 

The musician will make you wish you played every instrument in the orchestra, just so you can keep up with their lives and talent. It's raw torture if you're not musically inclined.

2. Making it official with the stirringly sexy barista. 

This setup has to be equipped with the most perks for a college student. Not only is your caffeine addiction wildly expensive, but also it's out of control. However, no fear with that problem with this foam artist. Free coffee from the hipster controlling the sanity of the student body is always, always, always a plus. 

While everyone else in the food industry will show up at your house smelling like soggy burger buns and fryer grease, your coffee shop gentleman will come home with the aura of a French bistro strapped to a cappuccino machine.  Not to mention, he'll at least do a better job of not butchering your name on the cup (ahem, Starbucks). 

But let's not forget the barista downfall. Pals will no doubt want to take advantage of this complimentary service, and this guy has to make tips somehow; watching him flirt and chat with the cute sorority girl getting her latte can be a little unnerving. But the tips have to be spent somehow, so his flirting efforts benefit your dating life in the end (sorry, ladies).

3. Being exclusive with the campus painter/photographer. 

Being this person's muse is a never-ending compliment train. How fun is it be to help your man scope out the best photography landscapes, pose for his latest art project, or brag about how awesome he is at his latest art gallery showing.  The adventure behind dating someone this creative is impressive in itself, not to mention the thrill you get from this guy's creativity and unique personality! 

But wait.  

You know your parents are less than enthused with this profession. Queue the ceaseless questions about your "future together," the "trouble with finances," and "how will you ever afford our grandchildren." 

Being their muse also comes with it's own pitfall: you double as their personal critic. How you react to their "abstract" work (when all you see is a stick-figure with a better-than-average physique), can be the trickiest part to not offending this artist.

4. Dedicating your time to the dedicated actor. 

When your main squeeze is heavily involved in theatre, you know he's determined, unique and almost always good-looking. This guy is poised, mannered, and knows exactly what he wants. Plus, you can always help this mastermind with his lines!  

While this charmer will have no problem with commitment, I wish you luck on the emotional trek you're about to embark on. The highs and lows of dating an actor can be intense and frequent.   

Rejection in the workplace means more word of affirmation from you, and lets face it, we can't always be the fluffy ray of sunshine that is demanded from us. This dude can also have the ability to be more cocky than Johnny Bravo. If the week has been great to his ego, his often outspoken personality can make up for the weeks that were less than productive (enter Charlie Sheen). 

Flexible schedules can also be a curse. When the audition calls, the actor goes running. Be prepared to be dropped on occasion. 

Good luck, ladies. We feel your pain.