Pros And Cons Of Wearing a Mask During A Pandemic

To wear or not to wear? That is the question.

331
Photo by Julian Wan on Unsplash

Pros

-Easy as slipping a sock on, except it's on your face.

-Proven to help prevent the transmission of the virus from person to person.

-Gives you and those around you the assurance of greater protection from the virus.

-Fills you with a gratifying sense of responsibility and civic duty.

-Shows others you respect and care about their health, even if you aren't worried about your own.

-You can write fun or powerful messages on them as either a political or a fashion statement.

-Lets the world know you are not an inconsiderate, selfish person.

-No one will know if you have food in your teeth or a booger in your nose.

-Disguises your facial expressions (you can make subtle faces at people and they won't even know).

-You can squint at people and they'll just think you're smiling at them.

-Could help the economy recover, as well as people.

-Blocks your bad breath from entering the nostrils of your peers.

-Come in all kinds of fun patterns, styles, and materials.

Cons

The inconvenience of wearing a piece of fabric on your face.

Okay, all jokes aside, the fact is that other countries are reporting fewer and fewer coronavirus cases while America's rates have reached soaring heights. It's unbelievable that the topic of whether or not we should all be wearing masks even has to be a debate in America. Are we really that selfish and entitled?

Of course, we do need to take into account those with underlying medical histories like breathing problems, severe stress and anxiety, or certain skin conditions that may prevent them from wearing a mask. However, if that's the case, maybe just stay at home. Don't try to go out in public without your mask on. If you need something, just ask a friend or loved one who is able to wear a mask to go out and get it for you. They love you, and I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

We should also consider the conspirators out there who believe COVID-19 is a hoax. Shoot, maybe it is. Who am I to say?

Wear the mask anyway.

If it does turn out to be a hoax, then great. You were right, and all you're out is the inconvenience of wearing a piece of fabric on your face. But, if this does turn out to be a real, deadly virus that has devastated the entire planet in a matter of months, then you can proudly say you helped slow it's spread and return our world back to normal.

And finally, for those of you who feel that a city ordinance for a mask mandate is an infringement upon your rights and is just the government trying to gain even more control over you, here's what I have to say:

You wear pants in public, don't you? You stop at red lights and stop signs, don't you?

Laws aren't always made because the government wants more power. Laws are made for the ultimate safety and well being of the people. We choose to follow them not because we're robotic slaves to the government, but because we want to live in a safe world where people care about each other.

There is certainly more to be said here, but I digress. I'm not expecting that this single article changes someone's mind completely. I'm simply hoping that it might encourage someone to think more openly, forwardly, and selflessly.

Please, for the sake of your health, the health of your neighbors, the health of the economy, and the quality of our future, suck up your pride and just wear your dang mask.