The one promise you should keep

The One Thing You Should Promise Yourself?

...To never break promises you make to yourself.

54

Promises.

We've been taught from the very start that when you say you're going to do something... when you make a promise... you keep your word. You don't let that person down. You do whatever needs to be done to make it happen.

But what about a promise to yourself?

For some odd reason, we find a way to make & keep them to everyone but ourselves.

"Our word" means everything when it's said to anyone, except us.

Isn't that a little bit backward?

Shouldn't the first person we make & keep a promise to be ourselves?

Whether it be work, family, health, faith, etc. Why do we tell ourselves we're going to do something and fail on the follow through?

Can you imagine what our lives would be like if we did every single thing we told ourselves we would, or at least gave our best effort?

Instead of finding excuses like "but I'm tired" or "I'll start tomorrow," what if you actually cleaned your house, worked out, studied, etc. when you told yourself you would.

Sure sometimes it will probably be harder than others, but...

No matter how big or small the promise, imagine how different you would feel.

Accomplished and ready for step two, I'd imagine.

Our whole lives, our brain has been trained that our word to ourselves means nothing and that "if I don't actually accomplish this today, it's not a big deal because I can do it tomorrow."

Or the next day, or the next day...

Our brain knows what it can get away with because we've done or said x, y, and z for so long. It's become just another bad habit. But what if you changed your habits? What if you re-trained your brain to just get shit done?

Instead of putting things off for days, weeks, and maybe months on end, what if you just sucked it up and did it?

Catch my drift...?

From here on out, when you make a promise or a commitment to yourself, follow through.

Follow through and do it repeatedly until you no longer skip out on you.

Even if you did this for one month. No matter what it was, whatever you told yourself you were going to do, what if you got it done every single time? It's hard to believe that if this was the case you would ever go back to your old ways.