Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger
Health Wellness

7 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

A shortened version of all the lessons I wished I learned earlier in life.

165
https://unsplash.com/photos/Br_-BLjGxA4
https://unsplash.com/photos/Br_-BLjGxA4

It feels like just yesterday I was turning ten years old and all I cared about was the gigantic teddy bear I hoped to get for my birthday. Now, I'm twenty-two and my concerns vary from paying bills to looking for a new apartment to live in. It seems like we grow up in the blink of an eye but don't realize a lot of the things that can be learned along the way.

1. Know Your Self Worth/Know That You're Beautiful

Growing up, I can't remember a time when I looked in the mirror and felt beautiful. I got in the habit of comparing myself to other people. Simply having the confidence to say, "I'm beautiful" was non-existent for me; the words felt wrong coming out of my mouth. As I've gotten older, the feeling of not being pretty enough started to intertwine with the feeling of not being good enough as well. I liked to believe that I would have my shit together once I got into my twenties but I'm only just starting to understand that self-love is a journey and I'm the only one who fix myself.

2. Don't Change Yourself for Other People

Sometimes I would catch myself trying to be someone that I wasn't to appease other people. Now, I try to remind myself that there's no good in changing yourself for some one else. People who care about you will like you for who you are.

3. Let Go of Pain, But Learn From It

My childhood wasn't perfect but I understand now that that's okay because I can look back at everything that occurred when I was younger with a different mindset and realize that I can learn from it all. I can't change the past but I can shape my own future.

4. Asking For Help Isn't a Bad Thing

For some reason, I would never want to ask for help when I was a kid. Whether it was when I was struggling in math class or something as simple as a problem with a friend, I never really asked someone else to help me out. I would try to fix things myself even when I knew I wouldn't be able to do it alone. I was a little bit too prideful. Asking for help from other people is a normal thing and doesn't make me weak.

5. College Can Be Good, But Maybe It's Not For You

I remember when I was applying for schools, I couldn't help but think that maybe college wasn't for me but the thought of not going to college scared me a little. I had big dreams when I was in high school and college seemed like the best way to achieve them. I've learned that life might not always turn out how you think it's going to. My freshman year in college was my first and last year at a university. I realize now that not going to college isn't the best decision for me right now and that's okay because I'm still figuring out what I want to do in life.

6. Take Care of Your Body AND Your Mind

I was very much focused on looks when I was a little tween but looking back, I wish I paid more attention to my mental health as well. If I had focused on it more, it could have helped me a lot in the long run. If I could tell my younger self that therapy will benefit me in the future, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

7. Every End is a New Beginning

When something ends in my life, I try to believe that something better is coming down the road. Sometimes endings are hard to accept but I'm starting to see that change can be such a great thing. I think it can open your eyes to new ideas and adventures and it's always good to try new things and have new experiences. At some point in life, I hope to see all endings as the start of something new.