I'm A Woman And I Am Pro-Life

My junior year of high school, I went to Washington DC to participate in the March for Life on the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. The night before the march, there was a snow storm. (Although from my Midwestern perspective, it was really more of a light dusting of snow). Since then, my heart has been tender to this issue, and it is one of my passions. Now that I am in college, I have a leadership role in a pro-life club on our campus. I believe that education about this topic is one of the best resources to spread the word about abortion and its effect on society. While controversial, I will not back down from my stance. Here are some reasons why I am part of the pro-life generation.

1. Reproduction itself is a miracle.

Honestly, how amazing is it that a person is created when two cells come together? Reproduction in itself is a miracle, and I truly believe that that makes every life a miracle as well, even if the babies are born with abnormalities or genes that go against them. Everyone deserves to see the world, even if it's just for a short period of time, no matter how or when they were conceived.

2. Embracing women's rights.

I am a woman, and as a woman, I couldn't imagine a movement that is more embracing of women's rights. I love my future daughters (and sons) and would never want to repress their right to live.

With this being said, it is important that I address the fact that women facing the decision of abortion are shown grace and love. I cannot imagine myself in the situation where abortion would be brought to the table, nor would I ever want to be in that situation. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy; I can't imagine how violated a woman feels when she becomes pregnant after a rape or a situation which results in a pregnancy. In my experience with this movement, it has been very loving and accepting of women considering abortion or who have already have had an abortion. Of course, there are people who take things too far and give this movement a bad representation, but I am here to reinforce the idea of love for women in this situation. I want to help not only the babies who will potentially lose their life to abortion, but I also want to help the women who are considering or already have had an abortion.

3. Science adds up.

I've done my research. Science says we are a distinctly new entity with separate DNA within the womb. We are living, growing, metabolizing energy, developing, and responding to stimuli in the womb. From the moment of conception, everything the baby needs to develop is already there. Like everything in life, all it needs is time. The only thing we have in common is our humanity.

4. A third of my generation is missing.

Just think about that for a minute. One third of my generation is missing because of abortion. When I think about the lives that aren't being lived, the people that I could be sitting with right now, my heart breaks.

5. The support system.

"You're only pro-life until the child is born," is a comeback that has been thrown my way once or twice in conversations. However, this could be further from the truth. The pro-life movement is for all life, meaning that once the child is born, we still want them to live. We offer assistance after the birth of a child. For example, our pro-life club on campus has partnered with a pregnancy support center in town and one of our executive leadership members has training in how to assist a woman who is pregnant or parenting. I am pro-life because I firmly believe that ALL life, in and out of the womb, at any stage in development or life, is worth something. I believe in life from conception all the way to natural death, and I will do all I can to help at every stage.

6. We are all God's masterpiece.

This past summer, I attended a Mary Kay Seminar in Dallas, Texas. One of the speakers was talking about how we were all God's masterpiece. "DNA," she said. "Do Not Argue with the King." Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Before I was even conceived, God knew me and had a plan for my life. That thought gives me goosebumps. He has a plan for all of us, and those of us who have yet to be conceived.

I am not pro-life because it is a popular position to have. I am not pro-life because I enjoy being involved in controversial topics. I am pro-life because morally, I believe that it is wrong to terminate the life of a human being, whether they are in the womb or have been living for years. I believe that our laws should preserve and protect the natural rights for all humans to live. When I think about calling myself pro-choice, I imagine that I am telling others that I could have supported their parents' decisions to terminate their lives. Some people have questioned my stance as pro-life because of my Catholic background. However, this couldn't be further from the truth. My pro-life stance has actually brought me closer to Christ and made me an even firmer believer in my faith.

Check out this video with Scott Klusendorf who discusses how to defend the unborn.

(For more information about the pro-life movement, check out Students for Life of America here , National Right to Life here, Live Action News here , March for Life here , United Families International here. To learn how to become involved at Central with the pro-life movement, check out Central Students for Life here.)