4 Tips For A Productive Writing Routine

4 Tips For A Productive Writing Routine

If you are an aspiring writer and struggle to find inspiration or need to get in the habit of writing every day, this guide will help you design a writing routine that works for you!

23
4 Tips For A Productive Writing Routine
Posted on Unsplash by @aaronburden

1. Find The Time

Timing and inspiration work differently for each one of us. Some may have the urge to write in the morning while for others, inspiration strikes right when they are about to fall asleep. The first step towards building a productive writing routine is getting to know what works for you. When do you normally feel more inspired? When do words come to you?

Once you learn a little bit more about your own timing, choose a time, and dedicate an hour or two each day to write. It is important to assign a specific time, write it down on your agenda or put an alarm, and actually write! Start including writing in your everyday routine.

Posted on Unsplash by @sronsinger3997

2. Find A Place

Some people enjoy writing in crowded places such as coffee shops or parks, while others prefer the quiet of their own room. The important thing is to (I will get a little repetitive) learn what works for you. Whatever place you choose, make sure that you have no distractions. It is easy to go on your phone, start cleaning your room, or think about homework when you are in a place filled with distractions.

Personally, I like to write in a quiet environment, usually on my desk. I make sure not to have any open notebooks (other than the one I am writing on) or my phone close by. I know a lot of you may write on your laptop. If that's your case, one thing I would recommend is turning off the wifi so that way you won't end up on Pinterest "looking for inspiration," then checking your Google Calendar, and suddenly you are on Twitter.

Clean your desk. Open your writing notebook. Grab a pen. Or open your laptop. And start writing.

Posted on Unsplash by @arnelhasanovic

3. Find What Inspires you

I once read that a famous writer hangs one of her favorite quotes close to her writing desk, so that way she always starts the process with a bit of inspiration. I noticed that this is a really helpful habit. You don't have to necessarily frame your favorite quote and hang it on the wall, but perhaps just grab a sticky note and put it on the wall.

Just to give you some ideas, some of my favorite quotes are:

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" by Oscar Wilde.

"Normality is a paved road: It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow." by Vincent Van Gogh.

"If you hear a voice within you say, 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." by Vincent Van Gogh.

A lot of our inspiration comes from our surroundings: what we read, what we listen to, what we watch, etc.

Posted on Unsplash by @lexyism

4. Create an Inspiring Environment

Personally, I like to light a candle every time I write. I also like to drink coffee, or tea while I am writing. A lot of people like listening to instrumental music to get inspired. What do you like? How is your writing environment like? If you are unsure because you have never thought about it before, try different things: light a candle, listen to some music, drink coffee, open a window. What do you write about? What do you draw metaphors from?

The Truth About Writer's Blockassets.rebelmouse.io

I hope all of these tips help you, and hopefully, you can build a productive writing routine.

Let's start writing!