Procrastination At Its Finest

Procrastination At Its Finest

I've come to the conclusion that procrastination can be a good thing.

60
Procrastination At Its Finest

Procrastination. We've all done it, most of us still do, some of us are doing it right now. If we're being honest, I procrastinated writing this article. But as a college student, I feel as though I've mastered the art of procrastinating and figured out that it isn't all that bad ... most of the time. However, I feel as though I am forever being lectured as to why procrastination is the worst thing you could possibly do, so it is my duty to bring to light the other side of the argument.

It teaches you to work better under pressure.

Eventually, you're going to be put in some sort of high-pressure situation and given a task that has to be accomplished quickly. Instead of panicking, you'll know you can get it done, and you will be able to handle whatever is thrown your way. So, think of procrastination as practice for your future stressful job assignments.

It forces you to get creative.

There's only so much you can do when you have two hours to write an essay. Pay someone? Ask your brother to do it? Been there, done that, and it doesn't work. I've had some of my greatest moments while procrastinating, where my creativity was challenged and even questioned. But I worked through it and now know multiple (innovative) ways to get just about anything done.

It allows you to narrow in on what's important.

Chances are if you're pushing the task out of your mind, it isn't that important to you, or you could do without it. So if you're in college and putting off work for your major classes, maybe you should reconsider your major. Once you get in the working world, you realistically can't procrastinate (as much). Let me clarify, I absolutely love writing and find it to be so important. I procrastinated on this article because it's a part of my nature ... and the beach seemed slightly more important this week.

The thought of doing something is worse than the task itself.

Most of the time, the hardest part of the task is getting started. Once you begin, you realize you were overreacting and could have done it weeks ago! Procrastination allows you to take a step back and think, "Huh, this isn't so bad. I might actually be able to do this."

The satisfaction of finishing is worth it.

There's no other feeling than that of finishing something you'd been dreading from the get-go. The longer you push the task off, the more accomplished you feel when it's finally done. Use procrastination as a self-esteem booster. You finished all that chem homework? Good for you, you're awesome, never change.

In a nutshell, procrastination can be a good thing. It gets your mind working and creative juices flowing and maybe your anxiety revved up a little as well. And I worked through this article, didn't I? Yup. If I can finish my assaigments on time, you can too. Good luck, and may the procrastination odds be ever in your favor.