The Problem With Tyler Perry And His Films

What is killing the quality of Tyler Perry movie's.

2473
freepik.com

Today in modern cinema we see a lot of new original ideas done by directors that have good ideas as to how a movie should look. If that movie is a flop or just ok, then the director usually tries something new or gets advice from other directors and then hopes for the best. Now this is a simple procedure of trial and error that anybody can get. However, there appears to be one director in Hollywood who just doesn’t seem to understand this process. The person I’m referring to is none other than Mr. Medea himself Tyler Perry.

When a person views a film they typically can determine which type of film it will be within the first five minutes of viewing it. 2001 A Space Odyssey was science fiction, Caddy shack was a comedy, and Requiem for a Dream was a mellow drama/acid trip again we could tell what these films would be within the first five minutes of viewing them. Tyler Perry clearly has no idea what he wants to do in a film. Let’s use Madea goes to Jail as an example, the film starts out as a drama with a team of lawyers going over Madea’s criminal history where the film points out that she should be in jail for life and assigns a lawyer to Madea’s future cases as well as a prostitute that the main lawyer knew from high school or something and the whole scene is played off as this whole important dramatic moment. The film then cuts to Madea driving like a maniac on the road, when the scene ends we cut back to the lawyer and the film keeps cutting like this throughout the whole film. This brings me to one of the most important things wrong with Tyler Perry movies the fact that they keep cutting at the wrong times and show two completely different things again like most of his movies they cut from drama to comedy or the opposite comedy to drama which makes no sense. That would be like if during the chariot scene in Ben Hur we suddenly cut from the race to an episode of Sesame Street that completely ruins the scene, now picture if that happened throughout the whole film then you have an idea as to what ruins most of Perry’s movies.

Then there’s how Tyler Perry seems to just do one type of movie throughout his whole career and that’s his awkward comedy/drama films that he keeps doing that don’t really amount to anything. Seriously Tyler Perry you need to change things up, lots of directors don’t stay in the same category of movie like you do. Quintin Tarantino for example doesn’t just do gangster movies he does westerns as well which are usually big hits. The same thing with Steven Spielberg as he doesn’t just do family friendly films like E.T. no he does some really hard hitting movies like Jaws, Schindler’s List, and Saving Private Ryan. Do you know why these famous directors go into various genres of film? Well the answer is quite simple really, it’s because if you just produce the same type of film over and over again then the audience knows what they’re going to get and can get bored with the film rather quickly thus if they go into these various genres and add new elements to these films then the audience has a general idea of the type of cinematography they will see but not much else.

Then there is the biggest problem with Tyler Perry movies and honestly the biggest problem is with this Madea character. Madea is played out as this character that has zero regard for the law and takes no crap from anyone and even tells one character in Madea goes to Jail how to beat the crap out of/murder another character. There is no reason for a character like this to exist in Tyler Perry drama/comedy movies, now if there were a character or two to tie the know between the comedy/drama sides of these movies and we just followed those one or two characters throughout the films and everyone else was a side character then that might work but you have to take out fucking Madea! No joke I don’t care how much Perry likes this character (trust me he likes this character a lot, just look up how many of Perry’s works she’s in) she doesn’t belong in whatever type of film he’s trying to make. Imagined if you had somebody who you saw every day for an hour and only an hour and that person had the most annoying voice you ever heard and talked so loud about jail, murder, and Christ then congratulations that’s basically Madea. Hell I actually had two teachers in high school who every time I saw them they would go “Hell’er” which is actually how Madea says hello which isn’t funny it’s just stupid.

So to sum everything up, Perry you need some help. I don’t care if you have a net worth of 400 million its quality over quantity when it comes to basically everything in life. Tarantino has a net worth of only 100 million but I and everyone else reading this can quote more movies from Tarantino’s then yours. I mean come on Perry you’ve directed over 20 films and written most of them, Tarantino has directed 8 films and even his worst (Jackie Brown) is better than your films. Perry honestly needs to just stop making films for a bit and learn about film making from someone like Martin Scorsese who also makes dramas and then make better films maybe then he won’t be labeled as one of the worst directors in Hollywood.