College Professors Are Robbing Students Of Their Individuality

When each young individual, soon to be the generation running our country, conforms to a singular agenda, distinctiveness is neglected and uniformity is promoted.

30
WaVE: Writing and Visual Expression

Talks of the election ran long past November 20, well on into January. Safe Spaces and support groups were set up across campus for months of prolonged hardship and mourning. Professors adjusted syllabi to accommodate classes dedicated to discussing the liberal agenda and engaging in group pity parties.

Most recently on the UC Berkeley campus, riots broke out protesting the speaker and Breitbart editor, Milo Yiannopoulos, who was scheduled to address the Berkeley student body on Feb 1. For weeks leading up to the event, both faculty and students petitioned the cancellation of the event put on by the Berkeley College Republicans. Planned peaceful protests became common knowledge and soon erupted into violent rioting led by a prominent cadre of Oakland anarchists.

Despite roundabout commentary from students and faculty alike, the cold hard facts point to a complete lack of knowledge of who precisely evolved into the core agitators amongst the protesting crowds. Yet, there is little to no use playing the blame game since the real issue lies in the promotion of anti-Milo protests and the amplification of leftist voices as a means of drowning out differing opinions. Without the full-fledged support from campus faculty and administration as well as the blaring liberal agenda that's actively promoted in and outside the classroom, students may find themselves resorting to peaceful means of tackling vulnerability and difference of opinion.

The true problem lies in college administration and faculty -- prime perpetrators of the liberal agenda. As students nationwide, we accept what is shoveled at us, with complete confidence. We've become deathly terrified of strangers and toxically dependent upon professors, so much so that we've forgotten how or why we must formulate personal opinions, dislikes, likes, and interests. We've silenced ourselves by allowing those we consider older and wiser, to make judgments. They've relinquished the importance of accountability in exchange for blame being placed on those who still hold accountability in high regards.

What is dire to remember is our unique role as human beings -- opinionated individuals, each with a different way of viewing their surrounding world. When each young individual, soon to be the generation running our country, conforms to a singular agenda, distinctiveness is neglected and uniformity is promoted; uniformity in the sense of one giving up what makes them markedly human. Without difference of opinion and a level of vulnerability, we as the millennial population, lose the single most important quality that makes us human beings living in the United States of America: freedom of thought, speech, and opinion.

It is important to remember to keep our wits about us despite existing in the wake of what seems like a nationwide revolutionary period.

History is in the making, but let's be sure to make a history we won't deplore.