13 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting College
Life Stages

13 Pro Tips I Wish I Had Before Starting College

You'll get tons of information thrown at you at orientation, but there are some things they won't tell you.

192
woman carrying a box while moving

Orientation is crazy. It's crazy for the parents. It's crazy for the students. It's crazy for everyone working on campus over the summer. It's crazy for everyone involved. Somehow, we all still love it. However, spoiler alert, there are quite a few things that are not mentioned during orientation that are pretty important to know. As a recent college grad, here are just 13 pro tips I wish I would have had my freshman year of college.

It's Okay Not To Graduate In Four Years

Something they always push on students is to take - if you don't have transfer hours anyway - to take 15 credit hours a semester. Not every student has a neat and tidy schedule and some programs require you to sign up for more than 15 credit hours. This equals about five classes, but it can really take its toll on you. The work load is different, every major is different, and sometimes, you forget to take care of yourself. Whether you have a job or internship, transferring, or just taking a break, taking a semester off will not hurt you in the grand scheme of things. Everyone has a different pathway to their degree.

Community Bathrooms Aren't That Bad

Sure, it isn't ideal to share a bathroom with about 70-80 girls freshman year, but it is not the end of the world. Make sure to bring a sturdy shower caddy, a couple of good towels, and a cheap pair of flip flips, and you are golden. Sure, the hair can get gross, but it won't hurt you.

There Will Always Be That One Class You Dread

If I had a dollar every time I went to that class each semester and just felt withdrawn, then I'd likely be able to go on spring break next year. Seriously, no matter how hard it will be to resist temptation, still go to class even if it's terrible. Just go. You'll feel better. Bring your coffee or tea. Reward yourself for going to that class. Not all classes are sunshine and rainbows.

Go To Class. Seriously.

As the last point mentioned, even if the class is terrible and you're half asleep, go to class. Reward yourself with Starbucks or Graeter's after if you have to, but please go to class. You are paying this for the rest of your life or someone else is paying for it. A college education is a privilege not many people have. Go to class. Learn. Make friends and suffer together. Just do it.

It's Okay To Not Know What You Want To Do

Seriously, it took me until the summer and fall of my senior year to figure it out and I'm still tweaking it as I go along. At first, I wanted to be a sports reporter or news reporter. Now I realize that I am better writing and researching and working wtih students hence more school. Regardless, it's never too late. Don't be afraid to change majors if you need to as well. Go through your options and reflect along the way. You want to end up in a field you love.

Not Everyone Is Rushing, Partying, And Going To Sporting Events

I don't think I have to say this, but sadly I have to. Not everyone will rush. Not everyone drinks or drinks underage. Not everyone goes to the football games. And that's okay! I went to sporting events throughout my time here at college, but never did parties or anything. Everyone's not doing it. It's called peer pressure and stereotyping the college experience. On the contrary, if you do decide to go out to a party and/or drink, just be safe. Watch and get your own drinks.

Losing Your Student ID Isn't The End Of The World, But It Still Sucks

Going to get a replacement student ID can be the real walk of shame for some. I haven't lost my student ID. However, here at UC, we have a discount bus pass which reduces our bus fare to one flat rate of $1 per way with 50 cent transfers. Today was the sad day where I lost my student bus pass. Sure, I have a replacement on the way, but the shame was there. Long and short, it happens, but be smart about it. Deactivate it as soon as you know it's lost.

Cherish Your Meal Plan. Please.

There will come a time when you either move off campus or graduate when you pine for your dining pass. Even though I've had a meal plan, I can empathize with those who do not in the sense that I am off campus thus not on campus all the time. Do I wish I had a nice hot bowl of soup and salad for lunch? Heck yeah I do. However, sometimes, you just have to make do. Regardless if the food is terrible or not, you'll pine for that meal plan and for the experience of the dining hall and all the memories.

You'll Have Awesome And Terrible Roommates

Lord knows I have had the best of both worlds. Thankfully, I've had more good ones than bad ones. If you're living in on-campus housing, you'll usually go through a roommate agreement with your roommate(s) and your Resident Advisor to establish boundaries and open communication. You may not see or speak with your roommates and that's normal too. That, to me anyway, is a good roommate. Now, bad roommates are usually the ones who bring their partners to live with them and they don't help out (the freeloaders), ones who wake you up, ones that set off the fire alarm and cause the building to evacuate, those who are rude to your guests, and the list goes on. This is part of being an adult so figure out what's up and get your wonderful RA involved if needed.

It Is Normal To Take Summer Classes

Some programs here at UC, such as engineering, business, architecture, and other programs have co-op rotations or schedules that require you to take classes your first year, then you alternate between classes and co-op throughout your college career. While you'll be in school a bit longer or in the summer, it's normal to be in school during the summer. If you go to school part-time, you won't fall off track to graduation. If you need to take a couple of courses, branch and community colleges can transfer those credits back to your main college. When in doubt, check with your advisor. I took college courses during the summer. No regrets.

Parking, Shuttles, And Most Campus Services Are Always Slow.

Oh heavens. Transportation will always be a mess. Registering for classes will always be a pain. Your bill may not get fixed for what feels like ages. Basically, don't even try to call any university offices until around two or three weeks in or visit unless you want to spend all afternoon on the phone or at an office. A quick email will get a better response time. Be patient. College and its fast-paced nature make everything feel slow because everything is.

There Is No Such Thing As A Quiet Study Space

Even if you try to do your homework at home while visiting loved ones, you wont get any peace and quiet no matter where you go. Because of this, I recommend a solid pair of headphones, a nice big iced coffee, and plenty of music. It's hard, but you learn how to tune out anything in college. I really mean it when I say anything.

Everyone Has A Unique College Experience

Like I mentioned in the beginning and throughout, everyone has a different path to get their degree. I'm friends with students of all backgrounds and walks of life. Some are international students. Some are non-traditional students. Some, like me, are first-gen students. You don't have to let media or anything hold to you a standard of what a college experience "should look like" because that's only one depiction. It's like high school in the sense that some people loved it, some people hated it, and some of us just miss marching band. All of us have a unique experience and we should be proud of that.

Overall, your college experience is what you make of it. We should not let pre-conceived notions of "what college looks like" from movies, stereotypes, and other norms we tend to see college as. You're here to get a degree, work hard, and make memories. I hope these tips help you just as much as they would have helped me. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!