Pro-Choice Does Not Mean Pro-Abortion
Politics

Pro-Choice Does Not Mean Pro-Abortion

The language "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Choice" is polarizing and inaccurate.

269
Pro-Choice Does Not Mean Pro-Abortion
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pro-choice_demonstration_about_Whole_Woman%27s_Health_v._Hellerstedt_in_front_of_SCOTUS_17.jpg

In the midst of several highly conservative abortion bans sweeping state courts nationwide, the words "pro-choice" and "pro-life" seem to be everywhere. This debate has taken hold of our nation with both sides loudly proclaiming their beliefs. I have a problem with the very vocabulary that is at the center of this debate because it makes it seem like those that support the Pro-Choice movement are not Pro-Life.

I would like to make the argument that almost everyone is Pro-Life and the vast majority of our nation is not Pro-Abortion. Those who support the Pro-Choice movement are not advocating for abortions to have zero restrictions or supervision. Pro-Choice is about recognizing that every woman should have autonomy over their body. It is about understanding that some people do not share your beliefs, that they walk in different shoes, and that you may never comprehend what compels someone to get an abortion but that you accept it because you realize you don't know their story, situation, or life.

Banning abortions won't stop abortions. it will make them unsafe and put women's lives at risk. As my own state, Missouri, may become the first state in about 50 years to not offer abortion anywhere within the state, I am scared about how our country is moving backwards. I'm confused why this is the agenda our state legislatures is pushing when there are other pressing issues to be dealt with, like climate change which is being ignored. I am frustrated that women's rights are being stripped away, something I didn't ever think would happen in 2019.

I understand the Pro-Life movement. I do not understand how it has become imposing your religious and personal beliefs on a whole state or country. Pro-Choice is not about advocating for abortions. There should be and must be different options for pregnant women but the point is is that abortion also needs to be an option. All women have a right to choose what to do with their bodies and politicians never need to be included in these decisions.

I urge everyone, Pro-Life and Pro-Choice supporters alike, to please try to understand the gravity of the legislation sweeping the nation right now, to please try to work together to protect women's rights and to listen to each other.

Pro-Choice does not mean Pro-Abortion. Everyone has a right to bodily autonomy and that means access to safe, legal abortions.