Prison Education Programs For Post Incarceration Success

It is not free education, it is a lower recidivism rate.

94
African American News & Issues

It should come to no surprise to anyone that there is a major mass incarceration - high recidivism rate problem occurring in America. So, regardless of what you believe prisoners should or should not receive while incarcerated, the corrections system is doing something wrong. There are many theories on how we can rehabilitate prisoners or help prisoners find success after their release. What seems to slip the mind of those who oppose programs of this nature, is that prisoners are people. They are not fighting dogs or villains in a comic book movie. They are simply people and lets be honest, some of them are the same as you and me, except they got caught. It is not only important to know that prisoners are people, but they need to feel like they are people as well, if the system has given up on them, then they may give up on themselves. It is our job, as a nation wide community, to remind inmates that they are people and that they can change. We have not given up on you and we want to help you. This week, we can focus on the success of prison education programs and how they have been beyond successful. Today, America holds almost 2 million people behind bars and our recidivism rate is about 60%, do the math.

Not only are there GED programs in prison, but there are also trade programs/classes and also sometimes college education programs. We must realize that in-prison education programs are not a privilege or a cheat cheat to free education. We are not spoiling our prisoners. However, we are preparing them for success post incarceration, and if that is not the goal than what is?

Legality aside, let's just get to the bold facts and numbers. Governments and courts cannot agree on what a prisoner has a right to, including an education. But, I can share with you that inmates are a statistically under educated group. Of course not all, but some. So it may be assumed that providing them something they have not had yet, may change their behavior or well being. For those inmates that have had education, their positive odds go up as well. Researchers have found that inmates who are enrolled and dedicated to a correctional education program have a 43% lower odd of returning to prison than those who opt out. Also, those who are involved have a 13% higher odd of finding employment after their release.

The harder we push these programs the more inmates will join, and so the programs will get bigger and better. These numbers shed a light, they are positive. This is only one way that we can help our prisoners gain a higher chance of success and a lower chance of rearrest. Although conservatives and haters need a lot of convincing and research is still hard to come by, prison education programs are not only practical but are statistically supported. Any number, even the small ones, that increase in the category of post prison success is a good thing and is something that we need to push for, because it is our duty.

43% is not 90% but it is surely better than zero.