Primary Goals of BASF

Primary Goals of BASF

BASF combines science and innovation in order to sustain the environment and its resources.

7
Primary Goals of BASF

The beautifully intricate office buildings and cathedrals we see are in need of restoration, requiring ample resources and energy for reconstruction. According to BASF, a German chemical company, "the construction industry currently accounts for about half of the world's consumption of energy and resources."

The BASF company, short for Badische Anilin-und Soda-Fabrik in German, aims its innovations at sustaining the environment through the sciences, particularly by using the correct chemicals. Here are some of the major issues on which that BASF focuses.

1. Maintaining biodiversity and resource conservation. With more intensive construction every year, fewer natural resources are available. BASF works to combat this issue by teaming up with science and environmental organizations in various countries and implementing measures to care for all wildlife.

2. Sustaining water usage. Before considering water quality, we must address the issue of water scarcity. Today, around 1 million people living in developing nations lack access to clean water. BASF has used the Water Stewardship standard to establish "sustainable water management at all sites in water stress areas." Though this standard began in European countries, the company has started implementing the standard in North America, South America, and China.

3. Improving climate protection and energy-efficiency. The Climate Protection Officer works with global BASF leaders to come up with plans for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and being more energy-efficient. By 2020, they plan to have implemented "certified energy management systems at all relevant production sites." These relevant sites depend on how much primary energy is used near the site.

Despite being headquartered in Germany, numerous divisions exist in the United States, Canada, Japan, India, Spain, and more. Leaders work collectively and in their own countries to support the development of science with an overall goal of protecting the environment.

With increasing urbanization comes massive consumption of energy on the planet. BASF leaders work with scientists on sustainable construction projects by mixing chemicals and creating literal solutions to these problems.

Click here to read more about the BASF company in the United States.