Arizona Baseball '15 Season Preview

Arizona Baseball '15 Season Preview

13
Arizona Baseball '15 Season Preview

Arizona Baseball opened up their season this past weekend (13-15) against Eastern Michigan University at Hi Corbett Field here in Tucson. The Cats got off to a hot start this season by sweeping EMU at home, drawing in over 8,000 fans over the three days. This upcoming week will be a busy one for the Cats as they face North Dakota State on Tuesday and Wednesday. They also have a three-game series against nationally-ranked Rice University next weekend. The series against Rice will be a great test for the Wildcats as they get prepared for Pac-12 play. Once again, the Pac-12 is looking just as tough as usual. These games before league play are important because a majority of the competition will not be as difficult as it will be once Pac-12 play begins. 

The Wildcats are looking to avenge their rough year last season, coming in second to last in the extremely competitive Pac-12 conference. Last season, five pac-12 teams made it to the NCAA Division 1 tournament, which is a lot of teams for only one conference. Two of the teams that did not make the tournament were two teams that won the College Baseball National Championship in the past 5 years, including us (winning in 2012) and UCLA (winning in 2013). That alone proves how tough of a conference the Pac-12 is for baseball at the highest collegiate level. 

This year, the Cats are expecting an offensive-minded team with several returning players. The question will once again be about the Wildcats' pitching, which has been an issue over the past couple of seasons. For those of you who are not familiar with baseball, pitching and defense wins games. The Cats pitching looked strong this past weekend, but the competition of Eastern Michigan (no offense to them) does not compare to what lies ahead in the Pac-12.

Teams to watch out for in the Pac-12 this season include UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and several others. In fact, no team in the Pac-12 should be taken lightly as the Wildcats are very much aware of. UCLA is coming off a very strong recruiting class along with several returning position players and pitchers. Look for them to make an immediate impact in the Pac-12 and even make a run for the national championship like they did in 2013. 

Another team that has high expectations are the Oregon Ducks, who like UCLA, had a highly-touted junior college heavy recruiting class along with returning position players and pitchers who are coming back from injuries. But do not count out the Arizona Wildcats who have the offense to compete with anyone in the division. If our pitching can be consistent, look for us to be there when it is all said and done!