TO THE PRESIDENT ELECT

TO THE PRESIDENT ELECT

I DON'T LIKE YOU, BUT I'LL ACCEPT YOU

21
TO THE PRESIDENT ELECT
ABC NEWS

To the President Elect,

It is with a heavy heart and tearstained eyes that, for the first time in my nineteen years, I must bow my head in shame at the once wonderful gift my parents so graciously gave me. For the first time in my entire life, I am ashamed to be American. I am ashamed of the misogyny in this country, and the ignorance that catapulted such a detestable individual’s ascend to presidency. I am ashamed at the xenophobia, islamophobia, and homophobia present within the hearts of the American’s who voted for him; but, most of all, I am saddened at the idea that such intense sentiments of hate and disgust can be present amongst the group of people I so desperately wanted to become a part of for so many years.

As a Latin immigrant myself, I have taken the elected president’s comments about my people and my race personally, and the way he has spoken about my friends and my family is something I simply cannot condone; and yet, it is not anger but pity that fills me at the thought of a country so close-minded they are willing to accept these lies as truth and generalize about entire societies. Little do they know they are missing out on what truly makes America great. Because America would be nothing if not for its melting pot of people and medley of cultures that account for its beautifully diverse identity.

So, Donald Trump, if you see this, or if you don’t, this is an outcry from your people; the people you have misjudged and mistreated, because we are not like you. We welcome tolerance; thus, we accept you, because I know our greatness does not lie in your narrow-minded idea of supremacy but in our unification despite our differences. I can only trust god’s plan for us is beyond my understanding; but until then I will walk in shame. I will walk in shame at the repugnance I have experienced throughout this electoral process, and I will walk in shame at the thought of such incomprehension on behalf of the American people; because America is already great. We make it great: the natives, the immigrants, the religious, the atheists, the heterosexuals, the homosexuals, and all others in between, because that is the beauty of America. Because we live in a place where we should feel safe at the thought of exalting our differences; because we live in the land of the free.

Remember, Mr. President Elect, that we are already great. Remember that our greatness lies in our diversity and that our power is only as strong as our united front. But, most of all, remember the America we are proud of; remember it when you insult the very people it is made up of; because we will not stand for your bigotry. The United States has long been a safe-haven for those seeking refuge from debasement and as long as there is good within the American people it will remain as such; because I believe in America, because America is already great.

I don't like you, but I'll accept you,

A Latina