Trump's new Executive order, Now what's next?

This may be a small win, but we still have so so far to go

147

On Wednesday, President Trump signed an executive order to 'solve' the horrible issue of family separation at the border that the majority of the country has been against for weeks now. Although it comes with many regulations that might not be quite as obvious to the public.

This may be a step in the right direction, but our government has a lot of ground to cover if they want to make up for the horror they caused to these families and the rest of the nation watching.

This executive order keeps the component of the administrations "zero tolerance" policy, and could allow a federal judge to refuse to give the Trump administration the authority it needs to hold families in custody for more than 20 days which stands as the current limit due to a 1997 court order.

This new policy does nothing to address the 2,300 kids already separated from their parents because of the "zero tolerance policy" Trump has in place. It has been stated by federal officials that these children will not be immediately reunited with families and the parents will remain in federal custody until the immigration hearings.

Mr Brian Marriott spoke later Wednesday evening to clarify that "reunification is always the goal" and that "the agency is working towards that" for the children already separated. However, it was never specified who the children would be reunited with, leaving the possibility for them to be reunited with other family members or 'appropriate' sponsors.

This decision was made only days after Trump announced he couldn't change the separation of families through executive order, and that it could only be done through congressional action. However, he changed his mind after enormous amounts of political pressure from Democrats, activists, and even his wife and oldest daughter who told him the policy was wrong.

After stories of children being taken from their parents, audio of screaming kids being released, and the photos of the cage-like detention living conditions, there was enormous political uproar, leaving the Trump administration no choice but to attempt to fix the situation.

The four-page executive order states that the border officials will continue to prosecute everyone who crosses the border illegally, but will attempt to seek better living facilities to keep families together instead of separating them through the court trial.

However, the order leaves a lot of unanswered questions such as what will happen while the new facilities are being built, and what will be the conditions these families will be put in.

The White House is currently in a state of disagreement and disarray about the immigration issue, as there are two more votes happening next Thursday. This is a step in the right direction, but it's going to take a lot more to fix the immigration issue.