13 Ways To Prep For Fall Without A PSL

13 Things To Help You Prepare For Fall Other Than Indulging In A Pumpkin Spice Latte

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting, and autumn a mosaic of them all." - Stanley Horowitz

32

If I'm quite honest, my favorite time of year is fall. The changing of colors in the leaves, the cooler weather and the football games are just some of my favorite things about that time of year. But there's one thing about fall that I'll never be able to get on board with — pumpkin spice lattes. I may be basic in a lot of ways, but you will never catch me with a PSL in hand I'm just not about that life. So in honor of the coming fall, here's a list of plenty of other things you can do to prepare yourself besides grabbing a PSL every single day.

1. Build a bonfire 

I know some people aren’t a fan of the smell of a bonfire, but for me it’s the greatest smell in the world. Between the s’mores, the campfire songs, and the stories and memories made around a bonfire there’s nothing better than nights spent around a fire. If my smile in the above picture isn’t enough to sway you on that topic, just come hang out with me and you’ll realize just how amazing a bonfire can be.

2. Go for a hike 

There’s something about being in nature that gets me beyond excited! For me, being outside just makes life so much simpler and easier. So when the world seems too much sometimes I grab some friends and go find a place to go for a hike. It just so happens that getting to watch the leaves change while spending time with people you care about makes it that much better.

3.  Rent a cabin in the mountains 

c1.staticflickr.com

Everyone knows that the changing colors of the leaves in autumn is most beautiful in the mountains. I haven’t been able to spend an extended amount of time in the mountains since I was a child. But I remember just how much enjoyment I had taking in the beauty of the mountains. Maybe the leaves haven’t started changing just yet but a cabin in the mountains can get you in the mood for fall.

4. Sit outside and watch the sunrise with a warm cup of tea 

c1.staticflickr.com

The sunrise and a warm cup of Earl Grey tea may actually be one of my favorite combinations. The beauty of a cool morning with a breathtaking sunrise mixed with the soul warming nature of a good cup of tea is life changing. This, to me, is honestly the most obtainable thing on this list and it may actually be one of the most fall things to do.

5. Have a scary movie marathon 

www.instagram.com

Halloween isn’t my favorite fall holiday, but a good scary movie marathon is fun for the whole family.

6. Bake an apple pie 

upload.wikimedia.org

Nothing like the most American dessert to help prepare for one of the most heartwarming times of year. So grab your apples and pie crusts and get ready for one of the best experiences around. Bonus tip: put some vanilla ice cream on top for further enjoyment.

7. Take a drive in the country 

upload.wikimedia.org

Roll the windows down and let the air race through your hair. Country backroads are by far the best ways to see the leaves changing and to just enjoy a perfect afternoon without any distractions.

8. Tailgate at a football game 

https://goo.gl/images/wC8eAA

When football returns that means that fall is right around the corner. Maybe sports aren’t for everyone, but it is one of the best ways to get into the fall spirit.

9. Go apple picking 

c1.staticflickr.com

You can’t have apple pie without apples! So take the family, or a group of friends, and make a day out of it. It may not seem like fun, but it could lead to cute pictures and a fun time.

10. Go buy a couple flannels and chunky sweaters from Goodwill 

https://pin.it/capujkdwgcaw5d

I'm a strong advocate for flannels at any time of year, but especially in fall. There's just something about wrapping up in a warm flannel or chunky sweater that makes life that much better. Not to mention, Goodwill has them for only three dollars so how could you not stock up on them?

11. Picnic at the park 

Everyone has to eat at some point, so why not grab some friends and find a cute park to have a picnic in. Now, an arboretum or garden will also suffice. The main idea is to be surrounded by people you care about and some good food!

12. Curl up with a good book 

c1.staticflickr.com

Rainy days and classic literature, name a better duo. I'll wait. That's all that needs to be said about this, if I'm quite honest.

13. Camp/Eno in your backyard 

https://pin.it/vbrq2eczyas4gc

Sleeping outside may not be some people’s cup of tea, but I love hearing the cicadas and laying back and looking up at the stars. It’s so relaxing and, honestly, a lot of times I find it to be more enjoyable than sleeping in my own bed. Maybe that makes me crazy, but it just reminds me of childhood joy and fall.

If you're like me and itching to get into the fall mindset give a couple of these things a try. If you must, go on and grab your PSL and go about your day, but I'll stick to hiking and bonfires.