How To Prepare For Your Dream Job Interview
Life Stages

Preparing For Job Interviews Is The Most Annoying Yet Most Important Step In Landing Your Dream Job

From what I experienced, trying to figure out what questions they will ask and preparing for answers can be very time-consuming.

42
Woman sitting down at a job interview

As you plan out your career and future during college, you are probably seeking out some job opportunities that are related to your major or the career you want to pursue. Or perhaps you're just looking for a part-time job to earn some extra money. That's fine.

Once you sent out your resume and then someone finally calls you for an interview, you get very excited and finally consider yourself not jobless at all! Congratulations! But then you have to prepare for the job interview.

Preparing for the job interview can be very annoying. Here are the reasons why.

1. You don't know what questions they will ask

In a job interview, you have to prepare yourself how to answer the questions they will ask you. This can get hectic because you have to think about what kind of questions they will ask. From what I experienced, trying to figure out what questions they will ask and preparing for answers can be very time-consuming. Not only do you have to explore yourself and come up with answers that reflect you, but you also have to come up with answers that will impress your interviewer as well. But even if you fully prepared yourself for the interview and clearly know what questions will pop up, you will probably find one or two questions that you weren't prepared for at all. This is when you have to quickly come up with an answer or merge the answers you came with in some way.

Before going to the interview, you must be beyond prepared. You must have a Plan B after your Plan A and you must also have a Plan C after your Plan B. In other words, have a plan of action in case you are given unexpected questions or something goes wrong.

2. You might have to change the way you speak

In job interviews, they want to find someone who is mature and someone who fits the qualities of the job position. Apparently, having a childish voice and having a lack of confidence when answering may affect your chances of acing the interview. You have to practice your speaking style as if you are having an adult conversation with someone who is probably older than you. Having an introverted voice and demure personality will also risk your interview. What I can say is try to act like you're confident and please take your time answering the questions. Also, do not try to avoid eye contact. You must have your eyes on the interviewer at all times so that way the interviewer knows that they have your full attention and that you are a good listener.

3. You might have to change the way you look

In job interviews, the interviewer also judges you by your appearance. Not only you have to be dressed for the occasion, but you also have to make sure you gave out a good impression. What I mean by this is that you must have a professional image that shows you are neat and ready to work. I can tell you what things you can work on. Being chubby could be a risk factor, so you might have to start exercising and lose a few pounds. Having a bored expression on your face or having a monotone voice will also cost you the interview. So, you might have to start practicing to talk with a smile. If you are uncomfortable wearing suits and white-collar attire, the best advice I have to tell you is just this: I'm afraid you have to start getting used to it.

Overall, the most important thing is to do your best in preparing for the interview! Come up with the best answers and make sure you gave out the best impression to others! Even if you bombed an interview, you have gained experience on how to answer interview questions later on! Even though you didn't get the job, you still gained something from the interview! After all, failure is just one step closer to success.