Why I Prefer The Term Dad Over Stepdad

Why I Prefer The Term Dad Over Stepdad

Being a dad doesn't come from blood; it comes from the heart instead.

21
Why I Prefer The Term Dad Over Stepdad
Original Image

I wasn't even born when my biological dad left. I have never met him, and I don't even know where in the world he is today. I was only two years old when my mom met my (step) dad. Not only was my mom's life about to change, but my life was about to change as well.

Fast forward a few years and my (step) dad married my mom. As a little girl, this is something I really wanted to happen, considering that I was starting to look at this man as my own dad.

I was in 6th grade when my (step) dad asked to adopt me. I can't explain the happiness and joy that filled my heart when this day happened. This meant so much more to me than anyone could imagine because to me my (step) dad was never my “stepdad”. He has been part of my life since I was two years old, and to me he was just always my dad.

My dad is a hard worker, but still made it to all my games and concerts that he was able to make. I still don't understand how he does everything all at once; it amazes me. Since I was a little girl my dad has inspired me from listening to him play the guitar to hearing him give my sister and I advice. There are even times where I think we are the same person because of how alike we think. Of course, we don't always agree on everything, but that's okay.

My dad loves to joke around. He doesn't like to take life too seriously all the time. Sometimes goofing around with my dad includes annoying mom together, which is pretty comical to me (sorry mom). My dad trying to be funny also includes lots of jokes and taking embarrassing pictures of my sister and I. Although sometimes I don't appreciate the incredibly embarrassing photos he takes of me, it still makes me smile. There are times when my dad just busts out a huge laugh that always makes me laugh because his laugh is that contagious!

Since I can remember, my dad has always believed in me. He's someone that I know I don't have to ask to cheer me on because I know he'll just do it. No matter what I want to do, eventually he'll accept and trust in me.He has always made sure to tell me when he is proud of me. Because of this, I know I am capable of doing anything! My dad is also so strong and a protector. If I'm sad or hurt, my dad isn't afraid to cry with me. He definitely does everything to protect my mom, sister and I. I look up to my dad because I see how he cares for our family.

I'm not kidding when I say that this man knows everything. If I'm sick or I'm in physical pain, my dad will know what exactly is wrong. If I need help with homework, I know that I can ask my dad because he will most likely know the answer. My dad has taught me so many important life lessons, which have shaped who I am today. In high school, I would always stress so much about just everything. He always told to me that life is too short to worry about the things I can't control or the things that won't be significant to me later in life. Whenever I get stressed in life, I always remember my dad’s words of taking one day at a time.

My dad does all these things and more not because he has to, but simply because he's my dad. He's seen my ups and downs, and I can't thank him enough for everything that he does and has done for me. I truly am blessed to have such an incredible father. I don't use the terms stepfather, stepdad or stepparent to describe him, because he's just my dad. He's always going to be my dad who I love so dearly.