Self-Love During Finals

Practice Self-Love This Finals Week

Finals is one of the most stressful times of the semester, so practice self-love to maintain your mental health.

71

Now I know everyone always tells you: "Just study, you'll be fine" or "I'm sure it's not that bad." Everyone also tells you to watch your mental health, don't stress out, take time to self-love. But, how much do you really know what self-love means? Or how to take care of your mental health? We all go through stressful times, and finals is just another category under the umbrella. However, taking time to figure out what self-love means to you and how you can practice it will benefit you in the long-run. The dictionary definition of self-love is: "regard for one's own well-being and happiness (chiefly considered as a desirable rather than narcissistic characteristic)."

Despite the efforts to spread awareness about mental health, there are still some stigmas about "taking a break." You are not selfish, nor are you wrong for taking any type of mental pause during stressful situations. You come first, and here are some ways to inspire you.

1. Jam Out to Your Faves 

https://pixabay.com/en/girl-music-fashion-listen-1990347/

Connect your speakers or your noise-cancelling headphones and turn on your favorite playlist. Music has been proven to be therapeutic and is a great distraction from all those books. If you have a car and commute, blast the playlist on your drive home to destress yourself!

2. Treat Yourself 

https://pixabay.com/en/people-girl-standing-talking-phone-2581913/

Buying yourself a little something can be a great way to self-love, and it boost your mood for finals week. Now the little gift you get does not need to break the bank; it can be anything from a new outfit to a simple order of your favorite dessert. Having a moment of pure happiness and excitement, away from the studying, could be your treat for your hard work.

3. Turn it Off

https://pixabay.com/en/turn-on-turn-off-industry-energy-2917049/

One of the worst parts about finals is not only your stress, but everyone else's stress. How are you supposed to take care of your mental health if you are concerned with your surroundings? Take the time to turn your phone off or simply put it on do not disturb. Maybe this is your chance to grab a book you want to read, go outside, or take a power nap.

4. Exercise

https://pixabay.com/en/workout-racing-bike-bicycle-bike-713658/

Exercise is common for stress relief because it releases endorphins, which are natural painkillers. Whether your enjoy a simple walk outside or you like to power lift, don't forget to take the time to do the things you enjoy doing, that benefit you in more ways than one. Especially during stressful times, exercising can also help you sleep, which might be more difficult if you are nervous about exams.

5. Grab some Grub

https://pixabay.com/en/pancakes-maple-syrup-sweet-food-2291908/

Set a goal to grab one of your favorite meals or desserts after you're done studying as a reward. Whether you go to your favorite diner for some late-night pancakes or you grab a meal with your friends, take the time to treat yourself and satisfy your cravings!

We all know that finals can be tough, but rewarding yourself, and taking time to focus on what YOU need is also just as important. Not only will it improve your mental health, but can boost your mood, and possibly affect those around you to do the same thing.