Powerful and Relatable Lyrics from the band 'Real Friends'

They have had an impact on my life.

1395
Up Set Magazine

There's no special story of how I discovered the band. I actually don't even recall how I found out about the band like I do with other musical acts. I've haven't seen them live yet, I don't know all their song lyrics by heart yet, and I've only been a fan for about two years (not since they formed). I know something though, based on my feelings and their lyrics, I can relate to them so much and their music has helped me through a difficult time. I'm going to share some lyrics and songs as well as explain what they mean to me. Some may think they're sad songs, but sad songs are okay to listen to. To write sad songs is to be vulnerable, which not everyone likes to do. Here are some of the most powerful lyrics from the band, Real Friends.

1.

\

These are powerful, relatable lyrics from the song 'Sixteen' on Real Friends' first full-length studio album. I am a person who is very independent and I have very independent friends as well. I have friends that have been too scared of a relationship or even a friendship and we've grown apart. This song as Dan Lambton says in the opening, that sometimes being alone can help you grow. Listen to the Acoustic Session below.

2. "Don't forget where you came from and who cares about you."

This song is all about bringing back the memories of your glory days. It could go either way about friendship or even a romantic relationship. There's also a line in the song that goes like this, 'You ran away from the Midwest and traded it in for beaches and east coast sunsets/Don't take in too much too soon." Since I was born and raised in the Midwest and made a very hard decision to go to school on the East Coast, this song gets to me a lot. It gives me a possible perspective on the people who I left back home. I still haven't found a song written that can relate to the feeling of coming back home from being away for so long. Listen to the full Acoustic below.

3. "I've been breaking all ten fingers for you, and you wouldn't even lift one up for me."

It relates to a lot of relationships and stories I've heard from my friends about past relationships. The song also relates to being back in your hometown where the streets made you feel different when you were in your youth, and how growing up can change this. I can relate to this as about how my friends treat me sometimes where I do a lot for them, but when I need help, they didn't seem to help me that much, or even care.

4. "Maybe this place is the same and we're just changing."

This song was very significant to my senior year of high school and is still very noteworthy my sophomore year of college. It had encouraged me to transfer to a school back in the Midwest and follow other dreams of mine. Maybe this Place is the Same ... and We're Just Changing also plays on how when we're adults, we're still just kids who have learned the ways of life and been forced to follow them because that's what we've been taught to do.

5.

Late nights in my car made me feel less alone when I was back home and confused about the way I felt when I went home from college. I have to admit I broke down last year and I'm healing from it, but it's all about the process of learning how to put yourself to be back together. I didn't feel like where I was, was the right place for me. I knew I could be a different person with the dreams and goals I wanted to work for. Yet, I didn't feel like I was my old self anymore. It's a confusing time period between youth and adulthood. I think there's an unknown time and no one knows what to call it to make it seem any less painful known as 'Young Adulthood' and it sucks. Remember, find a support system and we'll all get through this.

6. "Call me mid-twenty sob story, I can't change the way I feel."

I'm not even close to my mid-twenties yet, but I have an eerie feeling that this might just be me. My twentieth birthday is nearly seven days away and so I'm getting close.

7.

I've never been in a relationship before, therefore my lack of feeling true heartbreak. Not to mention that my good friend was in a four-year relationship and she told me she felt like a part of her was missing. I don't believe she's been the only one to ever feel this way.

8. "I'm a little worn out since you f*cking tore me down."

The premise of this song is about getting over a heartbreak but this lyric meant so much to me when I was going through roommate situations where it seemed like I was always being torn down and manipulated by them. Real Friends was there for me. Also, from friends and family, I've heard many break up stories. Many of them end up with people saying what's wrong with the other person and that's just not a good place for anyone to be in.

9. "Getting older scares the shit out of me."

Most relatable lyric from the band ever. It's the inevitable we're all going to get older. Time does not last forever.

10.

I'll admit I've been down some dark alleys in my own head and this song made it feel somewhat okay.

11.

Mess is one of their more well-known songs and you don't have to listen twice to find out why. Let's all face it, we're going to have a year where life is going to get messy, it's going to hurt, and we're going to feel like life is a disarray.

That's all I have for right now from the powerful, relatable picture lyrics from Real Friends. They have made an impact on my life and I can't wait to see where this band goes with their next tour and albums to come. I'm seeing them in their hometown on their US tour, let me know if you're going so we can meet up. Anyway, hope you either learned something new about a new band or reminisced with me about the bands awesome songwriting talent.

Don't hate on the band. If this is not your kind of art and you're going to bash a band that has meant so much to me, please kindly keep your thoughts off the comments.