Power To Us Women

Power To Us Women

Take back your wind.

20
Power To Us Women
huffingtonpost

Us women fight an uphill battle. No matter what we attempt to do, certain people always stand in our way. And those certain people are men. Emma Watson said it best: "Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong…It is time that we all perceive gender on a spectrum, not as two opposing sets of ideals."

For some reason, women equality is just pushed to the side like the left over pasta we probably made our husbands. How about the women who pursue a career. How about the women who do not receive equal pay for all the long, tedious hours they are away from their families. How about the women who defend our country over seas.

We have been placed beneath men for centuries. We fight an uphill battle. Things men are handed, women work years for. And we are just going to continue to let them all take our wind? (Yes, a "Friends" reference).

We are not some prize or trophy. Our purpose is not to sit on a shelf and wait for a man's beckon call. Or stand in the bar wearing a tight black dress for their enjoyment. For some reason, men perceive us as "dizzy" and always feel the need to talk to us with that ever famous "hey, baby." Like barf. We all have brains. We all have clothes other than cleavage-busting dresses. We are people, too. Not property.

Men do not own or define us. Some may try to control us, cage us in. Do not let them. Some may make us feel like the dirt under their feet. Do not let them. Their power is nothing in comparison to us because we are strong. We are capable of greatness. Yet, it is forgotten because the world is dominated by men. We should accept the wage gap? We should accept the stereotypes? We should accept all of this, right? Wrong.

It is time for a change. Do not let men walk all over you. Or take your wind. Men think they can pick us one day and drop us the next. And we let them. Why? We are independent. We make our own destinies. Who says we have to be married by twenty five or stay at home with the children. We have dreams, too.