The Power Of Positivity Among Young Christians

My reflection of the 30th World Youth Day.

38
World Youth Day Facebook

hat I had witnessed during the last week of July 2016 had made me believe about the power of positivity among young Christians around the world. I am talking about the 30th World Youth Day held in Krakow, Poland.

Despite all that is happening around us right now, it was great to see such a gathering that will turn our attention from those. The media has fed us with all the news about police officers and civilians being shot, drug lords being brutally killed, priests being beheaded by terrorists, leaders of nations having disputes with one another, countries undergoing many uncertainties, and the lists goes on.

The young disciples of the Master of Nazareth have gathered in Krakow to hear and experience the love and mercy of that same Master that was preached by John Paul Il who is Poland’s native son.

What surprises me most about the international celebrations of World Youth Day is the millions upon millions of young people showing up for this. Ever since John Paul II initiated the celebration, the number of attendees never went under two million. I believe all Christians, Catholic or not, agree that WYD is the largest gathering of Young Christians around the world.

If you indulge me, I would like to talk about the messages imparted during the celebration.

The Opening Day

The six day long celebration began on July 26 with an Opening Mass honoring the memory of Saint John Paul II, founder of World Youth Days and native son of Poland.

Why honor John Paul II?

Politically for Poland, the Polish Pope caused spark that led the downfall of communism in their country and eventually throughout entire Eastern Europe later on. Since the time of his own youth until the time he was elected as the pope, his native land has been ravage by many injustices starting with the Nazi occupation and the Second World War which brought the holocaust and eventually the Soviet occupation which brought socialism and communism. With all that, his people have longed not only for political freedom but also they have longed for God whom they cannot publicly believe and profess. When he, who was once known to his people as Karol Josef Wojtyla, had the opportunity to speak to his people about God spoke about the mercy of that God. And rightly so, the people repeatedly chanted that they want their God back and they want their freedom back.

On his first public sermon as pope, John Paul II appealed to all the leaders and people of the world with these words:

"Do not be afraid to welcome Christ and accept his power... Do not be afraid. Open wide the doors for Christ. To his saving power open the boundaries of States, economic and political systems, the vast fields of culture, civilization and development. Do not be afraid. Christ knows 'what is in man.' He alone knows it."

Concerning the fundamentals of democratic society there two things that has to do with faith: first is the free exercise of religion and second is the separation of religion and state. Since those are the case, I best assume that in the statement above John Paul II intends to promote cooperation between the Church and the State and that such thing as the separation between God and State to which I will leave open for individual interpretation.

Lastly, John Paul II is honored because of his love for the Young Church that is to say all the young Christians from all parts of the world. His ministry as priest was centered on the young people.

Basically, if you want to know how much he loves the young people, think about the coolest youth minister you've ever met and multiply his or her coolness to 10, 100s, or even to 1,000s. I know I'm just inventing the numbers but the results speaks for themselves.

The last half of the 20th century, have witnessed some drastic changes in culture and society. As many knew, the 60's and 70's have seen the gradual rise of many things considered up until now as counter-culture. I'm talking about the rise of the ideology that morality no longer matters; that religion and church is considered boring or uncool; that the basic foundations of love, marriage, and family can no longer the norm; and that the authority of parents or any other adults no longer matters. That was the time when adults began to think that the young are hopeless cases, when adults think that the young only aims to satisfy their desires, when many things were troubling the young, when the young thinks that following the moral codes of the old will make them outcasts.

It was during that time, when every adults possible have given up on the youth, that John Paul II stepped in and brought new vitality upon the young. In his first message to the youth as a pope he addressed them with the following words:

"You are the future of the world, you are the hope of the Church, you are my hope."

And on the eve of his passing, John Paul II with all the voice he can draw pronounced his very final public address towards the youth with words both of longing and gratitude.

“I have sought you. Now you have come to see me. I thank you.”

It was during those times that this pope beloved by the young people preached many things that molded many young people into better leaders of their own communities. This man taught them that human satisfaction can still be found into the authentic human love. That human sexuality, marriage, and family are part of the eternal design of authentic love.

For me those are enough reasons to honor him on day one.

The Future

I have read on many occasions some positive results of every World Youth Days that have been held in the last 30 years, one thing stood out for me there had been an increase in vocations. Now, vocation has been one of the buzz words in Catholicism which has been source of numerous debates. For Catholics who had narrow minds about the whole topic of vocation (that means many Catholics), they thought that vocation only has to do with priests and nuns who are just about 50% of the whole picture. Vocation also extends its meaning to marriage, family, and parenthood.

Speaking of marriage, who is not a big fan of good love stories and and great marriage proposals? And World Youth Day has plenty of those good love stories over the years. And there were two known marriage proposals that happened in Krakow.

One with a couple that goes to the same church but only met three years prior.

And another couple who came from different countries but occasionally contact each other. Who said that long distance relationships doesn't work at all?

The Main Events

The World Youth Day celebration would not be complete without the pope making public appearances on four key events of the celebration. And this Pope Francis' second international celebration of World Youth Day.

On the welcoming ceremonies for the pope, Pope Francis pointed out on his address the welcoming love and mercy of God. The mercy which he said always has an ever youthful face.

On Friday's Way of the Cross, the pope pointed out the ever puzzling question of God"s whereabouts when humanity suffers greatly. It is in the Cross of Jesus, he added, that we find the answer to the sufferings of humanity.

The most significant of the encounter was the Vigil Service.

In there many heard more stories of all the sufferings that the world is undergoing right now. Ranging from countries being torn by war to families and individuals going through daily struggles.

It is in that Vigil that everyone saw the power of prayer and interceding for one another.

The moments of silence both during the pope's sermon and the time adoration touched me the most.

Those moments of prayer and silence gave more meaning on the rejoicings, songs, chants, and energies of that week.

And on the Closing Mass of the World Youth Day 2016, Pope Francis sent out all these young disciples of the Master of Nazareth who were gathered in Krakow even those who were just tuning in via television, radio, and internet back into their home countries and communities to spread out and act out all of what they had heard and experienced.

Who knows what's going to be in store for those who would gather for World Youth Day 2019 in Panama?