Post-Election Stress Eating: NOLA-Style

Post-Election Stress Eating: NOLA-Style

Post-Election Stress Disorder (PESD) is real, and New Orleans food is here to help.

14
Post-Election Stress Eating: NOLA-Style
Gold Bely

It may be two weeks after the election—but we don't have to stop eating our feelings (NOLA style) for the next four years. With the unexpected win this past Tuesday, many people are distraught over our president-elect. Many of us feel hopeless and scared. And while eating our feelings may not help on a national or political level it will definitely make us feel better in the short-term. PESD, or post-election stress disorder, can and will be cured by food, and the foodie city of them all is here to help.

So here you go New Orleans, get ready to eat.

Breakfast

District Donuts

This is not the time for eggs or a green smoothie. Fried dough topped to perfection with the most elaborate and exciting flavors you'll ever see on a donut is all that will suffice to kick off your day. If you're lazy, you could probably stay here all day because they have actual food as well, but the donuts and an iced coffee are the key to your post-election morning (and mourning).

Toast

Pancake balls. They're much more fun and delicious to eat than normal pancakes (and they come with Nutella). Enough said, right?

Lunch

The Big Cheezy

It's all in the name. It doesn't get much better than a classic grilled cheese except for when it's filled with mac and cheese, bacon, and every kind of cheese imaginable. It's acceptable to drool, we aren't judging you.

Dat Dog

The most variety and deliciousness you can imagine, placed on top of any hot dog you like (from beef to alligator and everything in between) wedged between a heavenly bun. Customize your own, go for one off the menu, or let the people behind the scenes decide for you. Besides having a mouthwatering hot dog to satisfy your hunger and sadness, the environment of the restaurant is super cute and happy and will also likely lift your spirits.

Dinner

Ba Chi Canteen

For some odd reason, New Orleans is known for having some pretty stellar Vietnamese spots. This switches up the post-election diet from greasy and fried, to delicious and totally Instagram worthy. Order a “baco" or two and the kim chi fries and you're set.

Charcoal's Gourmet Burger Bar

A build your own burger bar with unique meats, phenomenal toppings, and to-die-for buns. Choose from traditional beef, to antelope, elk, salmon, veggie, and more. Toppings range from traditional burger toppings to fried pickles, caramelized onions, and a fried egg. Gourmet is an understatement - this is burger porn.

Happy Hour

The Rum house

Tacos and half priced margs, it really doesn't get much better. Make sure to get the mac and cheese side and queso for your appetizer—you won't be sorry.

Domenica

Every day of the week, from 2-5 p.m., Domenica graces us with half price pizza, glasses of wine, cocktails, and beer and for that, we cannot be any more grateful. (Domenica for President 2020?)

Dessert

Creole Creamery

Ice cream is bound to cheer you up, and this classic New Orleans spot has endless flavor choices. If you're feeling risky and the need to gorge, go with friends and face the Tchoupitoulas Challenge. It's a sundae made with your choice of eight scoops of ice cream and eight toppings with whipped cream, cherries, and wafers. Calling an uber as we speak.

Café du Monde

This New Orleans staple serves up an iconic NOLA experience with delicious powdered beignets and coffee in the heart of the French Quarter. When you have visitors, this is a non-negotiable. And it's open 24 hours, so more than one dessert is more than acceptable.

Late Night

The Boot

Pizza, quesadilla, or cheese fries. It's inappropriate, to say the least, to end your night on any other note and is just as terrifying of a thought as D.T. being our president to go to bed on an empty stomach. $3-5 for greasy, cheesy perfection. Especially with the Boot's new extended menu, you have no excuse not to.