A Post Election Letter To America
Politics

A Post Election Letter To America

I'm no longer proud to be an American.

24
A Post Election Letter To America
The Sun

(DISCLAIMER: I am in no way saying that all Trump supporters are bad. I respect other's opinions, and I am hoping to receive the same respect in return. These are just my feelings and opinions).

America,

I've always been proud to call you home. We've gone through a lot of hardship and made a lot of improvements in order to become one of the world's most powerful nations. I've been a proud American, that is, until today.

Today, every nation across the globe is shaking their heads at our decision as a nation. We've elected a racist and bigoted reality T.V. star as president over a woman with experience and knowledge. Last night, "grabbing her by the p*ssy" became more powerful than being a hardworking, glass ceiling shattering, intelligent woman. Last night, hate won.

Many Americans are terrified by the thoughts of what could come from not only Donald Trump being elected president, but some his devoted and just as hateful followers. Here are what some of them are saying after last night's results:

Hey haters and losers who are saying #notmypresident ! Your tears are delicious! pic.twitter.com/cWDXff9wWF
— 🇺🇸O-T TrumpWon (@hrtablaze)
This is the KKK on a bridge in Mebane, NC this morning celebrating the victory of President-elect Trump pic.twitter.com/88Oaf6ja18
— Tariq Nasheed (@tariqnasheed)
They'll never see this, but let's thank our Pennsylvania Amish friends for helping us #MAGA! #PresidentElectTrump #TheDayAfter
pic.twitter.com/LUArpdIMi3
— ALWAYS TRUMP! (@Always_Trump)
The biggest joke of the election a bunch of hypocrites thinking a Felon had a chance at being POTUS because she used the "woman card #MAGA
— Immigrants☆4☆Trump (@immigrant4trump)
The organized group of people, many of them thugs, who shut down our First Amendment rights in Chicago, have totally energized America!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
When you have to riot to get your point across, you know that your point is retarded #TrumpRallyChi
— woodkek (@CanadaWoodcock)
pic.twitter.com/bUb1r99hlq
— Roger Stone (@RogerJStoneJr)
Make America Great Again. #repealthe19th
— Travis Barry (@tbarry35)
Happy#CincoDeMayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!
https://t.co/ufoTeQd8yA pic.twitter.com/k01Mc6CuDI
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

Trump wants to "Make America Great Again," but what about our Black brothers and sisters? What about our Muslim brothers and sisters? What about our LGBT+ brothers and sisters? What about our wives and daughters and sisters and mothers? Will America be as great for all of them as it will be for the straight white man?

What about the fights that have been fought - women fighting for their right to vote, Blacks fighting slavery, innocent Muslims (still) fighting terrorist accusations, the LGBT+ community fighting for the right to lose who they damn well choose? Will these fights be lost in the election of a person filled with such hate? The reactions from anti-Trump supporters and even people from outside of the U.S. are heartbreaking. Since last night's announcement, two particular hashtags, "#NotMyPresident" and "#StillWithHer", have started trending worldwide. Here are some thoughts and feelings from our side:

I guess this means that we're just gonna have to work even harder #NotMyPresident #stillwithher ✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿🇵🇷🏳️🌈
— #NotMyPresident (@manicalvie)
I'm shocked, disgusted, disappointed. And I'm not american. #ElectionNight #trumpwins #RIPAmerica #StillWithHer
— overwatch. (@xitswaldorf)
My mom literally just texted me "don't wear the Hijab please" and she's the most religious person in our family....
— ㅤ (@harryonmen)
Counseling kids this morning who come to me afraid because kids are screaming in their face about how they'll be sent back. #NotMyPresident
— Brett (@UnbridledBeef)

An openly gay boy in my class just broke down into tears in the middle of the cafeteria my heart just broke. #NotMyPresident
— libby (@lovinitariana)

Sure, presidential-elect Donald Trump has some decent economical plans. However, he has shown so much hatred towards some of the people that make our nation thrive. You know you've made a terrible mistake when people are trying to flee the country and are in shock from fear.

Celebrities are joining our fight as well, some of them sharing our feelings. Here's what they have to say:

Blacks, gays, Latinos, Muslims, and women are not only 2nd class citizens in America - we're now bigger targets than ever! #NotMyPresident
— Perez (@ThePerezHilton)
❤️💙❤️💙❤️💙 pic.twitter.com/kuETRP7tb0
— Miley Ray Cyrus (@MileyCyrus)
Do not sit still. Do not weep. MOVE. We are not a nation that will let HATE lead us.
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry)
Be tired. Be mad. Be honest & concerned. But be not afraid. Rest up. Be safe. Come together. Construct. Know your surroundings. Be creative.
— jesseWilliams. (@iJesseWilliams)
In a room full of hope, we will be heard. @deray #blacklivesmatter Stand up for kindness, equality, and love. ❤️🇺🇸 Nothing will stop us. pic.twitter.com/CYLnVOseML
— #CountryOfKindness (@ladygaga)
It's so weird how nobody wants to talk about the klan marching in NC right now? Wait did I spell that right? Is it a c or k?
— Ellen Pompeo (@EllenPompeo)
Thank you @HillaryClinton for your speech and for your endless bravery. We are stronger together.
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow)
Today and going forward we must be kinder than ever. And fight like lions. Our true American & human values are now a humanitarian effort.
— Connie Britton (@conniebritton)

I'm no politician, but I am an American citizen and I am completely petrified by what has happened in our nation. As a woman who is a member of the LGBT+ community, I am, for the first time, disgusted and ashamed of being an American. All we can do now is pray, love one another, stand together and fight what people throw our way. For those who are as terrified as me, just know that you don't stand alone. We will fight again. We fought for centuries, four more years will only make us stronger. THIS is not how the world ends. THIS is not where our freedom ends. WE will fight together.

With love and hope,

A Terrified LGBT Woman

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

US Suicide Hotline 1-800-784-2433

IMAlive Online Crisis Network - http://hopeline.com/

GLBT National Hotline - http://www.glbthotline.org/ OR 1-888-843-4564

NDMDA Depression Hotline – Support Group 800-826-3632

Samaritans 24-Hour Crisis Hotline (212) 673-3000