Post-Election Blues
Politics

Post-Election Blues

Turn your frown upside-down, it's going to be okay.

8
Post-Election Blues
Wallpapercave

In light of recent events, I feel the contents of this article are necessary. First and foremost, social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are not appropriate mediums to voice negative comments that are hurtful to others concerning this election. On the night of November eighth, America made a choice and there is nothing that can be done to change that. I advise all to be respectful of other people’s choices and opinions – especially if they deviate from your own. There is a difference between gloating and celebrating, just as there is a difference between handling defeat with grace, and with resentment.

The post-election atmosphere, to my dismay (but not surprise), has been one filled with hatred, negativity, and racism. There have been reports of women who wear hijabs being attacked, groups of people advocating for the hanging of “n****rs,” and even suggestions of an assassination of the current president-elect. It is vital, now more than ever, to try and foster a culture of love, camaraderie, and tolerance. It is not a secret that our future president, Donald Trump, has many negative accusations being made against him, including an upcoming trial for fraud, which resulted in vast numbers of people being disappointed in his election as the next POTUS. Due to the negative track record attached to Mr. Trump, there is a great amount of dissonance between his supporters and those who opposed him. Those opposed claim that Trump, along with his supporters, are hateful bigots (to say the least), and disagree with their aggressive standpoints – and with good reason.

However, many of the people who were against all those sentiments have been expressing just that towards Trump and those who voted for him since his victory; threatening to cut off communication with those who chose to vote for him, and directing cruel phrases towards them. It is not wise to hold a grudge on those who support Mr. Trump, you are going to be the only one losing sleep over it, not them. I was once told, “holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.” Do not succumb to the temptation of drinking the poison of bitterness. Instead, take the path less traveled and agree to disagree, do not allow the culture of hate that is currently brewing take over, it will only invalidate what you have been defending this entire time.

Why would anyone engage in behavior that they criticized another group for carrying out? Does this not contradict all that you stand for? Burning American flags, violent protests, and bigotry are not the answers to the nation’s problems. What’s done is done, and as a country, all we can do from here on out is move forward, not hang on to the past and lament over something that could have been. Values such as love, respect, kindness, equality, and acceptance were things that you held true, but suddenly, they have disappeared since things do not go as planned. After all, if this is considered rock bottom, we can go nowhere but up. Hatred is not the answer, and it never will be. If you disagree with Trump’s election, then uphold your truths and accept the outcome. I challenge you to read what Trump’s plans are for our nation in his first 100 days in office and find at least one policy you somewhat agree with. I’m not suggesting this because I agree with the guy, I’m suggesting it because this is our new reality and keeping an open mind is necessary to live in it. Don’t spend the next four years fueled by hatred, spend them filled with hope for a better tomorrow – whenever that might be.