I'm Still Recovering From The Post-Beyoncé Concert Blues

Take me back to the Formation World Tour, please.

30
Elle

It’s been approximately nine days, 15 hours, and 32 minutes since I’ve seen Queen B, and I’m still not OK. I’m lucky enough to have been able to go to a Beyoncé concert before —

twice actually —

so I was prepared for the amazing vocals, choreography, performance quality, and crazy fans (especially since I’m one of them), but this concert was just something otherworldly. Let me tell ya’ll something: Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter knows how to put on a show! I don’t think she’s human honestly, like she can’t be, she’s so amazing. I’m going to attempt to break some of the concert down just so you can try to imagine what a Beyoncé concert is like.

So first we had DJ Khaled, and I was really looking forward to seeing him and seeing who was going to come out to perform with him. Because if you follow DJ Khaled on snapchat, you know that he’s been updating his story with every show he's opened up for Beyoncé. So now that I've seen him, I can check off my bucket list hearing him say, “Another one,” in person.

So DJ Khaled was pretty hype, as to be expected. He performed some of his popular songs like “I’m On One” and “All I Do is Win.” And I knew he was going to bring some guest performers out with him like Yo Gotti, but I didn’t know who else it was going to be. So when Trey Songz came out to perform “Say Ah,” and “Bottoms Up,” I couldn’t control the shrieking screams that came out of my mouth that were supposed to be reserved for Beyoncé only.

I was enjoying the pre-show and everything but you know, where’s Beyoncé? WHERE’S THE QUEEN?

The pre-show started at around 7:45 p.m. and ended at 8:30 pm. I had hoped for Bey to come out right after DJ Khaled left the stage, but that didn’t happen. We were left waiting for an hour before the Queen made her appearance, and it was worth every second.

It was 9:27 p.m. so by this time it was pretty dark outside, and I started to see images of Beyoncé on this really bright and big 3D cube on stage turning. And that’s when I knew she was about to come out. All of a sudden the cube stops turning and the images of Beyoncé disappeared. The only lights in the stadium were the ones from cellphones.

And then I saw the Queen in all of her beautifulness and flawlessness come out prepared to slay! She opened with “Formation” and everything about her performance gave me so much life. Her choreography was amazing. Her dancers were amazing. Her outfit was amazing. Everything was just amazing. And that black hat. I just love that black hat so much, I want one.

So moving on, I was wearing a shirt that said “Flawless” on it, and I was also wearing a hat that said “Flawless” too. So as you may have guessed by now, one of my favorite songs by Beyoncé is “Flawless.”

Due to extreme excitement and happiness from hearing her perform “Flawless” live I probably could've fainted. But I knew if I did faint I wouldn’t be able to see the performance, so I tried (and succeeded) to control myself. After she did she “Flawless” she went into “Feeling Myself.” And then Beyoncé changed the lyrics to “Feeling Myself,” from “Changed the game with that digital drop,” to “Changed the game when that Lemonade drop.” I was just like: Yas Boo Yaaaas. You change them lyrics wit yo bad self, I see you Bey Bey Yaaaas.

So as most people should know, Beyoncé used to be in Destiny’s Child. This year is going to be her 20th anniversary of her breaking away from Destiny’s Child and going solo. She mentioned this at the concert, and even performed parts of “Bootylicious,” “Independent Woman,” and “Survivor.”

Beyoncé and her dancers took me to the Motherland and back and I was with it. She performed “Freedom,” a song that has been called, “a powerful anthem for black women,” in the water barefoot. Beyoncé is such an amazing entertainer and breaks boundaries all the time. I mean, I have never heard or seen of an artist performing barefoot in the water.

I could obviously go on (probably days, maybe even years) talking about this concert forever, and even write a 5-page paper in APA format with in text citations, but I won’t. Just know what the moral of the story is: if you go to a Beyoncé concert be prepared to have your edges snatched.