The Positive Vs The Negative In Tampa Bay

Despite the recent police shootings in Tampa, Florida, there is still some good happening in the Black communities.

76
Kwsnet

While there is still so much wrong with the US and the news only showing what's wrong in Black America, I would like to take the time to speak about what's going on and positive in my community. We’re always hearing who shot who, who did this and that but what about what's going right with our communities? Or, dose that not matter? Well, it's time to start acknowledging some of these young kings and queens giving back to the community and setting a positive standard for the youth.

In West Tampa, on 1948 W. Main Street, sits LevelZ Barbershop. Born Eddie Tignor, Master Barber EJ, gives hope and encouragement back to his community. No stranger to the law, Mr. Tignor has overcome the typical stereotype of the young black man and also has become a positive role model in his community. On August 28, 2016, Mr. Tignor held an event which I was invited to attend at LevelZ Barbershop, where they gave out free haircuts, book bags and free HIV testing. Among the guest that participated in the event were AMF Healthcare volunteers, Omega Psi Phi, SB AmpFitness and many more, all joined in to show support to the community. The event was very successful and more than 40 kids received free haircuts and book bags.

Mr. Tignor is a proud father of a beautiful young girl, Janiyah Tignor and his amazing, beautiful fiancé, Jacquell Donaldson, which I have had the pleasure of meeting. This young man has overcome many obstacles in his life and achieved goals that are made unreachable for young brothers trying to make a change. I myself know firsthand the effects of the system and how it is set up for young brothers to be discouraged out of being more than what they want us to believe. Now we have young brothers like myself and Mr. Tignor and many others who need the support and guidance of our elders in the community. Because, if we tear down our people and neighborhood, everyone would be quick to point out the wrongs and flaws. Okay, now put that same energy into uplifting and supporting us when positive actions are being done within our communities and for our people.

I had a little time after the event to get a statement on how Mr. Tignor felt about the support of his community and is it important to support young black men in transitioning to be young black owned business men. Mr. Tignor had these comments to say. "My past experiences made me the man I am today. But, I learned so many things that humble me now a I'm grateful of all the support from the community, family and friends. And, I think we do need more support from our community leaders or just other black owned businesses. Networking is the key to achieving growth among black America. What's happening to Blacks in America now days is a wakeup call. I have a child, a family, so I just want to make my mark in this world and not how the system would portray me in the media. If I can show a kid a better way or be a role model to someone, that's progress for me and hopefully more brothers can come together to recreate real men in our communities."

I agree with Mr. Tignor, we definitely need more support out here in our communities. We need more established black men and women to reach out and give a little guidance, advice, or, just some encouraging words. I also would like to take the time out to say in spite of the recent police shooting of yet another unarmed Black man in Tampa Florida, there is still good happening among the black communities in Tampa. Let's respond and recreate our own communities by supporting black owned businesses, by supporting our youth and young black men and women who are giving and building in the black communities.