5 Popular Movies And TV Shows You Didn't Know Were Filmed In Long Beach

Long Beach may be just a hop and a skip away from Hollywood, but it's a pretty great alternative for the film industry.

2890

This past week the production crew of "Supergirl" was spotted filming in the community of San Pedro. "Supergirl" is a new show to premiere at the end of October. It is based on Superman's equally as powerful cousin Kara Zor-El. While they are primarily filming in San Pedro, Supergirl was spotted in Downtown Long Beach this past August.

Mayor Robert Garcia got to meet Supergirl when he visited the set.

"Supergirl" isn't the only TV show to film in Long Beach. The city has a long history since the 1900s of hosting films and TV shows. Long Beach Special Events and Filming describes how they issue "over 800 film permits a year with more than 1,000 production days." We've rounded up a few of the movies and shows that have been filmed right here in the Long Beach area!

"Dexter"

Set in Miami, "Dexter" filmed a lot of their show in the city of Long Beach. Most notably, most of the houses shown in season one. You can find which ones here. Broadway Donuts (pictured above) is most notable for being on "Dexter." Seeing Stars writes that it was in Episode Eight of Season Seven, titled "Argentina".

"True Blood"

The infamous vampire bar called Fangtasia in HBO's series "True Blood" was popularly filmed in Long Beach. In real life, it's called "Alex's Bar," and is somewhere on Anaheim street.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" (2011)

The HMS Surprise (pictured above) was used for Barbossa's Providence in "Pirates of the Caribbean." The ship is usually docked at the Maritime Museum in San Diego, but during filming the ship was spotted in Long Beach.

"CSI: Miami"

Long Beach must be a great stand-in for Miami. Most of the locations filmed outdoors in Miami were actually shot in Long Beach. This above photo was captured off the coast in San Pedro.

Obviously this isn't a complete list of all of the TV shows and movies that have been filmed in our small corner of the world. The ever growing list contains a new television show called "Rosewood," and a new movie titled "La La Land," starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. Next time you're watching any of these movies and TV shows, be on the look out for whether it was filmed here in Long Beach, Ca!